Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Why does anybody like to do anything? It's the reason there are so many distros out there. Everybody has unique tastes....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why does anybody like to do anything? It's the reason there are so many distros out there. Everybody has unique tastes.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux Engineer
    I am merely pointing out the practical & technical obstacles you will encounter. Nobody stops you from trying it.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

In my mind, The difference between Fedora and Debian is the many good configuration utilities Fedora offers which Debian doesn't. In my opinion, configuration is easier with Fedora than with Debian, although with Debian, you get the really nice apt-get package management system with all those packages.

Have you had a look at Mepis? Mepis is based on Debian so you get apt-get, but Mepis also includes a lot of very user friendly configuration utilities.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hello...

look i havent used pure debian and ihaven used fedora either, but i have used ditros based on red hat (mandrake, SuSe), and based on debian (knoppix, ubuntu, kubuntu!!! recently installed!), and i cant tell you that i love any debian based distro due to one simple thing: PACKAGE MANAGEMENT... everything else is optional...

let me explain:

you can get rid of a sound driver issue, video adapter trouble, etc... but you will always (or most of the time) need to use an efficient package management...

lets say in worst case scenario you will spend three or four days to tune you Linux system up, but in debian you will save a lot more time at the moment of installing software (i would go crazy resolving the dependency hell manually)...

those who don't like debian, i apologize, its just my opinion...

my recommendation is that if debian(pure) gives you to much trouble, try using another distro based on debian but dont give the package menagement up...

again is just what i think...

thanks... bye...

I still don't see why more people don't recommend Blag. It has the best of both worlds--Fedora base and apt package management.

Apt-get RPM is easily installed on all Fedora/Redhat versions. It's just that Blag decided to include it as their package management system over Yum. Where Blag really shines is with mulit-media apps that you don't easily find with other distros.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    personally, i suggest trying gentoo linux. I've tried many linux distros over the years. Many redhat based, many debian based, slack, you name it. And all of them seemed to be lacking in one way or another. Much as your describing. Now i can tell your not big on the self configuration but thwe thing with gentoo is, you build your system from scratch (more or less, it's like designing your own distro.) You can include all the excellent features in fedora (including their themes) as well as the speed and management of debian.

As with all distributions there is pros and cons to gentoo, but i would definitly say the pros outway the cons. I will now list some.

+++:
    - Excellent package management. Portage takes the cake over any other package manager. Urpmi, apt, whatever.. portage is the ultimate in package management. Allowing you to install and easily manage multiple versions of the same package and fine tune them to your hardware and software liking. As with most rpm based distro's, they're compiled with "all options" built in. Which is great if you plan on using all those options but otherwise can be a huge resource hog. Not to mention that if your using Gnome, and gnome apps, why would you ever need qt as a dependency? in gentoo it doesn't have to be.
    Portage has features such as: Dependency cleaning, old package removal, development and stable branches of software, and an update system that updates everything on your system with the newest stuff all the time. Gentoo is great for always being up to date since all their packages are compiled from source so the effort put into releasing new packages is minimal allowing for new packages to be released by them daily. There is also currently over 9000 packages in portage (www.gentoo-portage.com to see a listing)

- Use flags. These are most definitly the best invention in the linux world yet. These allow you to globally fine tune your system and keep it that way by passing the usually frustrating and complex configure options to the package for you.

- Gentoo is completely internet based. No upgrades, no versions. Your always up to date and once gentoo is installed you'll never have to spend countless hours downloading the "new version" in a 3 CD set of ISOs. Gentoo also offers advanced /etc configuration and management making your you don't have to reset all your options after a package upate, but still giving you the chance to make changes to config files offering new features.

- Gentoo allows you to learn linux from the inside out. In gentoo your never wondering where something was installed, or what purpose that package serves. You know about everything on your system, why its there, and what its for.. and if you don't know why its there, you probably don't need it.

- Gentoo is fully configurable for every need. As is every other linux distro but the difference being is that in other distro's you'll hafta install it, then go back and make changes and remove un-used software or kernel options. In gentoo that's done by you during install, so if you don't need alsa in your kernel, it won't be there from the start.

- Gentoo is the ultimate in speed because it allows you to custom cnofigure it to any architecture. If you have a Athlon-xp why use fedora's build for i586 when you can have gentoo built for an athlon-xp and nothing else, fedora needs to be cross compatable among many CPUs making for a decrease in speed if it's below your architecture line.

There's many more features and i would love to list them all, but probably easier to goto their website www.gentoo.org

---:
    - Time to install. Since packages are compiled from scratch, the time taken to install gentoo is long. The difference being that once it's installed, your good to go.. and probably won't need to re-install it for any reason other than replacing the hdd, or changing your partition scheme.

- Internet based. Unfortunatly since it isn't CD based you do need the internet. They have a small livecd containing core packages if you don't have it, but if your forced to use it, all the power and flexibility of gentoo kinda goes out the window, so i'd suggest another distro containing more packages on CD.

- complete user customization. Nothing is done for you, you tell it what to do (with good documentation on all subjects i might add) but still some users want an O/S that you install and just works, gentoo isn't that.. but when you do get it working, it works really good.

- no install wizard. Ever wondered what that install wizard is doing? In gentoo you'll find out as you go through each step of installation manually from the command line. Allowing you to fully prepare your system before you start using it. But once again, for some users this is unacceptable.

There is more of both pros and cons but i suggest you try it, give it a week. And i promise that you'll feel everything you like from both fedora+debian with a few nice little features added on

I thank you for all your help and opinions. I have considered gentoo but honestly I think the minimal speed improvements are outweighed by the length of time it takes to install. I really want to try but I keep myself in check. I just don't have four days to sit and watch text scroll by. If there is an automated process I might listen. I understand even the stage 3 is extremely long - unacceptable. I have been considering vlos but it looks like quite a few people have major issues with their community and don't think it will be around long. As far as blag goes I looked at their website but it was garbage. I have a major issue with appearance. If they can't look professional I don't want any part of it. I know I am picky but I think we all are really. It was easier choosing a wife than a distro, well she chose me actually :o
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux User
    In my opinion, the best middle grounds between Fedora and Debian are Vector and Libranet. Although I haven't tried either, yet, both Ultima and Frugalware look rather promising to me. Onebase has always been an interesting option, as well, though with a very small package base currently.

If you like the idea of Gentoo, look at Arch and Slackware, mostly depending on if you like dependency resolution or not.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2