Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by genesus I also tend to agree with Nietzsche when he, as Zarathustra, proclaimed that everyone being allowed to learn to read cheapens it for the rest of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    I also tend to agree with Nietzsche when he, as Zarathustra, proclaimed that everyone being allowed to learn to read cheapens it for the rest of us...people write with letters, I only want to read what has been written with blood. Soul and truth are both sacrificed when the rable can have final say in what is true.
    SHOEMENDERS!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Truth by democracy instead of the scentific method

genesus wrote:

Hmm...well I haven't exactly written an article about it; however, there are many points that hurt the idea of wiki...
    I view wiki as valuable because it is congruent with the bazaar model of information exchange. In theory over time credible sources eventually prove themselves over the false. Unfortunately from a pragmatic point of view I'm forced to concede that in the short term it is possible to fabricate whatever truth one desires and that the prevailing view on a wiki can easily be dictated by the most numerous editors who share the same opinion regardless of fact. At the very least wiki is valuable as a supplementary search engine to potentially citable works, even if it is itself subject to the whims of the majority.

Again, I apologize for digressing the thread; my curiosity often gets the upper hand over my better judgment.

oz
    forum.guy
    heh... I never believe everything I read, regardless of where it's written.

Just Joined!
    Not believing everything you read is sensible as it means that you use your own sense and brain before drawing definite conclusions and building your own knowledge.

But that's not much of a point against wikipedia. When knowledge is open and everyone is able to contribute the outcome is fundamentally the same as with Free Software and GNU/Linux and it is superior software and in wikipedia superior knowledge resource. Sure there can be short term (very short term) manipulation or having false knowledge displayed, but the sheer number of people which can edit quickly beats this the same way as bugs and exploits are quickly identified and fixed in Free Software. Openess and freedom *for all* is always good.

Back to topic..

Richard Stallman and company wanted to clearly identify their new free (as in freedom) operating system as different from UNIX, as something that is *not* UNIX, because UNIX was (and today mostly still is) proprietary while GNU is Free Software. Besides that, while developed on UNIX and made very similar (or almost same) as UNIX, GNU was just its clone. Thus the name that says that GNU's Not UNIX. The only question left to answer here is what does "G" stand for, and for that you'll probably never get the answer. It's part of that "weird" hacker humor, the "G" is what makes this acronym recursive, actually.
    It's as much as you don't know what does "L" in LAME or "W" in WINE (although WINE has another substitute meaning WINdows Emulator I think it is also recursive for WINE Is Not Emulator).

So there, in the Free Software world you can even poke fun at names, let alone anything else.. try that in the proprietary close-me-up-cause-it's-mine-I-don't-give-it-to-you-unless-you-pay-and-it's-still-mine world.

Thanks
    Daniel

Just Joined!
    I have a theory about the G in GNU. I'm sure everybody's seen national treasure. Could be whats-his-face who started the GNU movement was actually a mason. Therefore as to "mark" his idea he threw in the masonic G. I'm sure yall have seen the G in the Mason's symbol referred to as "the square and compass"

whats really going to bake your noodle is if i hadn't have said anything, would you still have broken the vase. kidding. for real tho, your asking well then what does the mason "G" stand for? God? Grand design?

Since I happen to be in that fraternity I'll conclude with a straight-forward answer: Geometry

And everything I just said is complete theory.

Just Joined!
    I believe I read somewhere that GNU stands for "Genuinely Not Unix" ...

oz
    forum.guy
    This thread is nearly 5 years old, so locking...
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2