Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alrite first i'll explain. i have finally started making my own computer (only now, you say) but could you pls explain what the "barton" means on the athlon xp processors ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

2 q's

Alrite first i'll explain. i have finally started making my own computer (only now, you say) but could you pls explain
    what the "barton" means on the athlon xp processors and would i need a speical motherboard to work with it?

on another note altogether i have 2 hds in by com rite now, linux on a small one and xp on a big one. i boot using linux' lilo yoke which is saved on the MBR now if i was to rip out that hd could i just go into the win recovery console and get the cd to rewrite the mbr will everything be grand?

thanks v much
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Linux User

Re: 2 q's

Quote Originally Posted by mad_red_hatter
    on another note altogether i have 2 hds in by com rite now, linux on a small one and xp on a big one. i boot using linux' lilo yoke which is saved on the MBR now if i was to rip out that hd could i just go into the win recovery console and get the cd to rewrite the mbr will everything be grand?
    Yes, assuming the MBR is on your Windows drive (i.e. it is the primary master, aka /dev/hda) then that approach will work fine for you.

But sorry, I don't know about your first Q.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    "Barton" refers to the CPU core type. Barton CPUs have 512K of L2 cache as opposed to the thoroughbred counterparts which have 256K. When your looking at mobos just find one that supports the Barton core.

Linux Newbie
    would http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...No=13&PISNo=15 this be alrite to support it?
    thanks
    Thanks v much

Multi boot:

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure. It says it supports a 333Mhz front side bus but when i read through the manual it didn't mention anything about Barton CPUs.(It mentioned all others, k-7, palomino, thoroughbred)

You would not need anything special to run it. I guess your looking @ the XP2500+ so any mobo that can handle that will run it.

Linux Newbie
    yeah i was lookin ath the 2500 but it is a bit much (this is an budget machine) so i might go for the 2400 cause you get a free heatsink and it runns at a higher clock speed.

actually coppertop lilo is written to the mbr (and lilo is on the second hd) so if i remove the hd and just rewrite the mbr would it work?
    Thanks v much

Multi boot:

Just Joined!
    It's too bad you're making a budget machine. With an Nforce 2 mobo and good cooling a 2500+ Barton can hit 2.1+ Ghz.

Linux Newbie
    ach i know but i'm going to pump it with ram so it will probally make up for it.
    hey later on is it possible for me to take out the processor and put in a 2500?
    Thanks v much

Multi boot:

Just Joined!
    Yes if your motherboard supports it.