Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Please don't tell me to go to distrowatch or anything like that, I already have a pretty good idea of which distros I like and which I don't. My question ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Best Distro for a Mac...

Please don't tell me to go to distrowatch or anything like that, I already have a pretty good idea of which distros I like and which I don't. My question is more difficult than that...

Which distros run best on Macs? Specifically an iBook 14" g4 w/512MB and an 80GB hd, sadly it's got an ati card in it, but I digress...

I've heard decent things about Yellow Dog, but almost every distro out there has a PPC version, so I was wondering, for those of you who have installed Linux alongside OSX, which ones work the best, and more specifically, best for the laptop?

Again, stats:
    iBook g4
    14" screen
    512MB ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32mb)
    Built in wireless and bluetooth, as well at built in combo drive.

Brand spankin new...

thanks in advance!

I don't have experience of running linux on ppc but i know that SuSE 9.3 is also for ppc and what i have heard i should be rather good

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarthJysky
    I don't have experience of running linux on ppc but i know that SuSE 9.3 is also for ppc and what i have heard i should be rather good
    I never heard about SuSE for Mac... You could YellowDogLinux, and I thought Fedora had a Mac variant also.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    I would say www.distrowatch.com is a good place to look, there are loads of ppc distros about :P

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    I would say www.distrowatch.com is a good place to look, there are loads of ppc distros about :P
    He said he didn't want to go to Distrowatch.

Just Joined!
    in other topic there was written:

by:

Libervisco

Besides looking at distrowatch, you could also give this a try: Linux Distro Chooser.

It's in the news here.

Re: Best Distro for a Mac...

Quote Originally Posted by afroguy013
    Which distros run best on Macs? Specifically an iBook 14" g4 w/512MB and an 80GB hd, sadly it's got an ati card in it, but I digress...
    OS X. No really, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I think by far the best OS you can run on Apple hardware is Apple's OS X.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Good point. Remember, OS X ultimatly has an open source core anyway. They've posted the Darwin source code on their web site. So if open source is what you are looking for then OS X will fit that as well. In addition, this open source core (AKA Darwin) is very stable. And remember, what makes Macs good, stable and reliable is the fact that Apple molded the operating system and the hardware into one. This means that Apple knows every single bit of information about your hardware. So I don't recommend using Linux on a Mac. You've got the best pre-loaded.
    Seriously. I honestly think that OS X is the best operating system out there today.
    But it costs an arm and a leg. So I don't use it. But since you have that advantage, use it.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Good point. Remember, OS X ultimatly has an open source core anyway. They've posted the Darwin source code on their web site. So if open source is what you are looking for then OS X will fit that as well. In addition, this open source core (AKA Darwin) is very stable. And remember, what makes Macs good, stable and reliable is the fact that Apple molded the operating system and the hardware into one. This means that Apple knows every single bit of information about your hardware. So I don't recommend using Linux on a Mac. You've got the best pre-loaded.
    Seriously. I honestly think that OS X is the best operating system out there today.
    But it costs an arm and a leg. So I don't use it. But since you have that advantage, use it.
    Yes I love OSX, but I tend to think along the lines of "If it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features yet..."

Linux Enthusiast
    It all depends on what you want from an operating system. Personally, all I ask for is
    1.) Good hardware detection
    2.) An e-mail client
    3.) A web browser
    It's usually the first one that gives me problems. I've gone through five distros and still haven't found the perfect one. (Although SUSE is very, very close).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast