Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Are Celerons considered x86 compatible? They are built by the same company so I'd imagine that they would be....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Intel Celeron

Are Celerons considered x86 compatible? They are built by the same company so I'd imagine that they would be.

Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, Celerons are i686 (all processors that run Windows are x86, including AMD and other third-party ones). Celerons are pretty much the same as Pentium-class processors except for smaller cache or slower bus and stuff like that.

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah a celeron is x86 compatible, I have one and it is slow but hey! they are cheap

Linux Engineer
    It's not because a Celeron is Intel-made it's x86 compatible . Some prehistoric Intel-cpu's are NOT x86 compatible.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    Ah ok then.

Learn something new every day :P

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    It's not because a Celeron is Intel-made it's x86 compatible . Some prehistoric Intel-cpu's are NOT x86 compatible.
    It took me a minute to understand what you said here. Allow me to attempt to reword it so that I and perhaps others can better understand:

Not all Intel-made chips are X86 compatible, and not all X86 compatible chips are made by Intel..

Ok. Maybe that isn't any clearer. I get the point you were trying to make though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    So AMD is x86 then?

But not all AMD chips are made x86 compatible?

/me is confused now :S

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    So AMD is x86 then?

Read this, perhaps it will help:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-47022.html

Short answer, yes. As far as I know, all AMD chips are X86 compatible. This includes the Duron, Sempron, Athlon, AMD64 and (I think) Opteron. If AMD makes any other CPUs, I can't say.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Thanks techieMoe

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    So AMD is x86 then?

I think most AMD's (from K6 on) are x86-compatible. As for their previous models, I don't know. From the K8 - to make it more complicated - there is the x86-64 standard (set by AMD), for 64-bit CPUs with complete backward x86-32 compatibility (up till now all the x86 CPUs were 32 bit AFAIK).

x86 is an architecture, just like PowerPC, or SPARC, ... Intel designed x86. AMD enhanced it with its K7 design, and produced a (may I say brilliant?) 64-bit version with his 64 bit processor line (Opteron, AMD64).

To make it even more complicated: Intel has a completely native 64-bit processor, the Itanium, on which no x86 software will run. It's redesigned from scratch.

I hope that makes it more clear .

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    It took me a minute to understand what you said here. Allow me to attempt to reword it so that I and perhaps others can better understand:

Not all Intel-made chips are X86 compatible, and not all X86 compatible chips are made by Intel..

Ok. Maybe that isn't any clearer. I get the point you were trying to make though.
    It's a complicated world we live in .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast