Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am so lost..someone please help me. I can get it running as a service, but now how do i make it work the way i want it too? how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Rex
    Just Joined!

VsFTPd

I am so lost..someone please help me. I can get it running as a service, but now how do i make it work the way i want it too? how do i set up users and passwords for login? how about the users home directories and where they can and cant go? bandwidth throttling? all that kind of stuff? Thanks a ton,
    Rex

Linux Engineer
    You add users by adding them to the system. The directories they have access to is thier home dir. You use passwd to set/change their passwords. I don't know if vsftpd does bandwidth throttling but I know proftpd does.

Rex
    Just Joined!
    they say it does...but the thing with that is, yea i add them to system, thats all fine, but they arent restricted to a directory then. they start in their home, but they can go look around the rest of the system..i want to lock them to a dir....also, i dont think my .htaccess are being read, because i switched from win, and my directory is set up the same and the .htaccess isnt working..and its being hidden cause of the . in front..how can i fix that

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I dont really know what you want to do but first.

0:Create a ftpusers group with groupadd.

1:Set up and ftproot which is the topdirectory for your ftpusers. Place it under another directory like /var/ftp/myftproot that will be the users / when they log on.

2: Set up ordinary filepermissions on the directorys under your ftproot with the chown, chmod command. Use the ftpgroup you have created to grant the users to theris speifiic structures.

3: i Suggest that you place you .htacess file in the direcotory above the ftproot like under /var/ftp then the ftpusers cant reach it/see it.
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    I don't know if vsftpd has this but in proftpd there is a DefaultRoot directive you can set which will choot users to a directory you specify.