Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Currently I have Fedora and Windows XP installed. I need recommendations on a second distro to install on same hdd as Fedora. Mahalo. Edward...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Second Distro

Currently I have Fedora and Windows XP installed. I need recommendations on a second distro to install on same hdd as Fedora.
    Mahalo.
    Edward
    GNU/Linux is a powerful Free OS. Fear is a powerful motivator. Freedom is sweet. Fear GNU/Linux. Savor Freedom.

Well, what are you looking for?

oz
    forum.guy
    Take a look at the top 10 distros (according to DistroWatch.com):

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

That page has descriptions of those 10 distros, and there are about 390 more to choose from (available from the main page) if you don't like any of those.

Gentoo or Ubuntu make nice distros for any user. If you want a Fedora-like distro, then get Ubuntu, if you want more of a "power user" one, try Gentoo.

i'd try mepis or some other light KDE based since you already have the gnome based Fedora. just for somethign different.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Linux Engineer
    Why don't you try using your extra partition as a test patition, play with a distro, wipe it, and play with another...you may even change main distros...all of them have strong and weak points, plus many on this forum and I really like to test drive various distros
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

i would have to agree try a KDE based distro like MEPIS or perhaps if u want a more full featured distro try SuSE Mandriva is a fine distro damn small linux is good if your woried about space but like said before go to www.distrowatch.org for more info
    If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane--Jimmy Buffett

Registered Linux user # 376962

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    Why don't you try using your extra partition as a test patition, play with a distro, wipe it, and play with another...you may even change main distros...all of them have strong and weak points, plus many on this forum and I really like to test drive various distros
    I did this for a month or two, and it was wonderful! I highly recommend this approach if you have a fast internet connection and a CD burner. You start the ISO download before going to sleep, burn it the next day and install it on your "trial partition."

Linux Engineer
    If you know exactly what you want on your distro, and is not afraid of CUI, then I would advice you to test out debian, gentoo, arch and freebsd (thought it's not linux, it's neat ). I would say gentoo is the most customizable when it comes to USE-flags and such, arch is the minimalist and most customizable and fastest of the binary distros (with a package manager very easy once you get an explenation). Ubuntu is an install for debian, preconfigured and default-packages chosen for you, and a lot of peaple seems to like it, so you might try that aswell. Fedora used to be my favourite in the beginning, however I don't like the fact that they patch away MP3-support and similar. I never really installed suse, just tried the livecd's... Mandriva used to be my favourite after leaving fedora behind (10.1 community edition), and it's still user-friendly and such if thats what youre after.

Linux Enthusiast
    Maybe a BSD like FreeBSD, come to the other side...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast