Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, I just started using Linux (my first distro. woot). When I play some music, the sound isn't right. The bass, has too much treble (if that makes any since). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Having sound problems

Well, I just started using Linux (my first distro. woot). When I play some music, the sound isn't right. The bass, has too much treble (if that makes any since). My friend (which also guided me through the install) told me to download gamix, but it didn't have anything to do with the bass or anything. Help! If it matters, I'm running Ubuntu 5.10

try running alsamixer from the command line, increase the LFE channel for more bass. Use Up/Down to increase if channel shows MM, press M to unmute it.

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. I unmutted the LFE channel, but increasing it doesn't do anything

try decreasing the treble, or use the mixer you downloaded to see if such settings are there.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Engineer

Re: Having sound problems

Quote Originally Posted by Ulbsry
    Well, I just started using Linux (my first distro. woot). When I play some music, the sound isn't right. The bass, has too much treble (if that makes any since). My friend (which also guided me through the install) told me to download gamix, but it didn't have anything to do with the bass or anything. Help! If it matters, I'm running Ubuntu 5.10
    What program are you using to play your music? I noticed using BMP (XMMS is identical as far as the sound system goes) gives bad sound quality - it uses alsa, esound, don't know what else. With ARTS or the xine engine I have no problem at all.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Well, before I downloaded BMP, I played a cd (40 oz. to Freedom. Awesome song) and it played through Totem (I think) and I had the same problem

Linux Engineer
    Can you check if you can select different engines in Totem, do that and see if it makes a difference?

Just Joined!
    How exactly would I do that? (Still a newbie)

Linux Engineer
    I never used Totem... You should look at the options (no doubt they will be somewhere ). Then try to select the xine plugin, test each available plugin for the best sound quality.

Just Joined!
    Well, I'm not looking to play all my music through Totem. I was just using it as an example. So, messing with Totem wouldn't help out my Beep or Linux as a whole. Sorry to be alittle harsh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast