Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i'm searching for a desktop distribution of linux, something like ubuntu but who needs the less of internet use, because i'm on a dialup connection and it's a pain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux, fast!

hi, i'm searching for a desktop distribution of linux, something like ubuntu but who needs the less of internet use, because i'm on a dialup connection and it's a pain in the ass to download every updates everytimes, and run a lot of internet sucking apps. i would like to have debian like the netinst one, it would be cool to select all the apps you wants and then push "download" and that it would give you your debian-based linux distro with the packages you want heheh, but hum a very fast running system with the less internet use possible.
    something like debian with fluxbox dunno...

thanks for your suggestions

- tompouceuh

Linux Enthusiast
    Maybe Damn Small Linux with Synaptic?

You could always use Suse and choose which packages you wanted during the install. This may be a liitle less convienent but you will know exactly what is being installed.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Should try Damn Small Linux or BeatrIX is a GNOME based distro so it may be a little to heavy for your needs check www.distrowatch.com
    If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane--Jimmy Buffett

Registered Linux user # 376962

Linux Engineer
    I'm not quite understanding... You want a distro which has a minimal amount of downloading for iso's, or you want a distro with fewer updates and stuff to install after the distro is done?

Linux Newbie
    I'd say SuSE cos after you download the dvd, you have a fully working system and loads of other random software to look through if you need it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    I'm not quite understanding... You want a distro which has a minimal amount of downloading for iso's, or you want a distro with fewer updates and stuff to install after the distro is done?
    a distro, with whatever the size it has, but i dont want to download updates and any files after, because apt-get upgrade are fat in size.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by tompouceuh
    a distro, with whatever the size it has, but i dont want to download updates and any files after, because apt-get upgrade are fat in size.
    Then I would reccomand you mandriva. Download three CD's or something like that, and you should not have to install that much else over the 'net.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Quote Originally Posted by tompouceuh
    Then I would reccomand you mandriva. Download three CD's or something like that, and you should not have to install that much else over the 'net.

... but you're downloading 3 CDs worth of data...

Linux Engineer
    Try Zenwalk or Vectorlinux, I think any 1 CD-based distro will do. With one CD to download & install, there is not that much you can upgrade, is there? With Zenwalk, a 'full' upgrade is only a few MB, and you can choose to exclude packages from upgrading.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **