Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by borromini You just disable a daemon by disabling the x bit: # chmod 666 /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug for example. I have a Slackware-style system, but Zenwalk has a 'service' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    You just disable a daemon by disabling the x bit: # chmod 666 /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug for example. I have a Slackware-style system, but Zenwalk has a 'service' command. Then you just do # service disable [servicename] to disable the service.

As for a good GUI: I already have Xfce . And I like it very much. One of my main reasons to switch from KDE was actually speed & responsiveness...

As for distro: I'd like to stick to this one . So what I'm looking for is distro- & DE/Wm-independent tips to startup linux faster . Untill you get to the GUI that's loading, that is.

@ the guy dressed in black: I mentioned before I'm not wanting to switch distro's . Thanks for the input anyway.
    heh i dont really know what else hmmm

You just disable a daemon by disabling the x bit: # chmod 666 /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug for example.
    It would be safer to use 'chmod ugo-x'... The '666' could allow for a vulnerability...

Just Joined!
    http://initng.thinktux.net/index.php/Main_Page

Notes:

* As initng is gentoo specific, other distributions may need some changes to get everything working
    * 'make uninstall' is available

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolmar

Notes:

* As initng is gentoo specific, other distributions may need some changes to get everything working
    i just tried it and am pretty impressed...it seems to load a few seconds faster, and i like how it tells you more information at boot-up.

i use gentoo and all i had to do to install it was:
    Code:
    emerge initng
    mount /boot
    nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf
    (rest is within the grub.conf file)
    after root="....", add [or change] init=/sbin/initng
    (CTRL+W...ENTER)--to save
    ("Y"....ENTER)--to confirm saving
    it was a really easy install and i like how it works. my computer is a dual cpu computer, so running things in parallel really speeds things up for me

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolmar

Notes:

Thanks, I'll check that out. AFAIK Zenwalk still uses sysvinit.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Engineer
    Does anyone have something else? I'm really curious about this!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ISOS
    You just disable a daemon by disabling the x bit: # chmod 666 /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug for example.
    It would be safer to use 'chmod ugo-x'... The '666' could allow for a vulnerability...
    What do you mean? What vulnerability?
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

What do you mean? What vulnerability?
    I don't mean to go OT on this thread (which is a nice idea), but the question was asked: Well, if you make your script writable by the world, that is a bad idea. Anyone could poke around in it and add malicious statements. Then someday when you turn the script back on you are going to be running these statements as root.

As for this thread itself, I do the same as others. Disable unecessary services (and there are a number turned on by default that I don't use), and compile software out of the kernel that I do not need.

If you consider the desktop environment loading to be "booting", then definitely a lightweight one goes a long way. KDE takes so long...

Another idea: May be silly, but it could save a little time for you. If you're frequently using the same home network (i.e. you're behind a NAT device / dhcp server for private network) it may speed things up a little to use a static IP. I know while my pc waits for a response from the dhcp server it is quite slow.

Another thing I ran into (though I think it's debian-specific):
    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/199
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast