Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by ozar From the moment of selecting my distro name in the GRUB menu to a fully loaded FVWM in X is about 15 seconds, total. All I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    From the moment of selecting my distro name in the GRUB menu to a fully loaded FVWM in X is about 15 seconds, total.
    All I can say to that is..damn! That's pretty fast, nicely done .

I need to work on mine...55 sec to a fully loaded KDE desktop. Maybe I should switch to something lighter.

This may have been mentioned but if you can background something during boot (especially if you can background networking for a laptop), that will save a couple of seconds. I know that by backgrounding networking in my rc.conf, I save a few seconds when my laptop doesn't have a network connection .

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    All I can say to that is..damn! That's pretty fast, nicely done .

I need to work on mine...55 sec to a fully loaded KDE desktop. Maybe I should switch to something lighter.

Bryan
    Hi, Bryan - yeah, I definitely think the KDE part of your system is a big chunk of your current boot speed. Of course, if you like KDE, there's no point in changing unless you are rebooting quite often and/or maybe you wanted to experiment with some other DEs/WMs anyway.

The only thing I've had faster boot times from was CRUX Linux, but that's because it loaded very few services by default. Speaking of CRUX, I'm going to install it again soon to play with it some. If you haven't tried it, think of it as the source compiling times found in Gentoo, but the overall feel of Arch. A new version should be coming out in the near future, so I might wait for that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4