Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I shared a thunderbird and firfox profile between linux and windows a while back. It was my first steps towards moving to linux. I don't remember the details as I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I shared a thunderbird and firfox profile between linux and windows a while back. It was my first steps towards moving to linux. I don't remember the details as I have since then ditched windows on my PC and banished it to my girlfriends PC. (YAY)

I could never get linux to write to an NTFS partition so I finally gave up and threw a spare 10gb hard drive in and formatted it w/ fat32. I wouldn't mess arond with copying files or using a jump drive.

I just had to copy my profile from my windows partition (C:\documents and settings\ <user>\local settings\mozilla\thunderbird) I think that's the path... to the shared drive and then merged my profile from my linux partition /home/<user>/.thunderbird into it. Then from within Thunderbird go to Edit\Accout settings and change the local directory path (its in there twice) to the new location. You can also edit the /home/<user>./thunderbird/<profile name>/prefs.js file to accomplish the same thing. I'm gussing it was something similar to this from the windows side but I don't recall exactly.

Firefox would be something similar. Copy the profiles to the shared drive and edit the ...Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini on windows and /home/user/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini on linux to point to the new location.

I recall it being a litle more difficult than the steps I've listed here so I may have left something out but give it a shot and post any problems.

Just Joined!
    I solved this problem for my dual-boot laptop by installing Ext2 IFS, which is a Windows driver that lets you read/write to ext2 and ext3 filesystems from within windows.
    http://www.fs-driver.org/

This way I can keep my Thunderbird/Firefox profiles on the Linux partition, but still use it from Windows when I boot over...

Just Joined!
    I decided to revive this thread, as it has a huge PageRank for "same firefox user directory linux windows".

Linux now supports ntfs fully via the FUSE driver "ntfs-3g". In Ubuntu this is installable with a simple sudo aptitude install ntfs-3g and some slight mods to /etc/fstab (ntfs = ntfs-3g).
    It should be easy to install in most other managed distros, as it's usermode, not kernelmode, and as such can be distributed as a reasonably universal binary.
    The driver works very well, but if you have large, fragmented partitions it can become a cpu hog if you read/write a lot. This is expected to change a lot for the better in the future.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

also configure shared Enigmail

If you are signing your e-mails (making it easy and reliable for your communication partners to while list you as not SPAM), then you need go to the OpenPGP--> Preferences Dialog, in the "Basic"-tab, and add "--homedir </your/pgp/dir>" in the "Additional parameters for GnuPGP"-field.

K<o>
    Documenting OpenOffice.org with Screencasts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2