Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, has anyone tried making their own live cd using linux live ? or anything of that sort? it looks very interesting...(and long) but still fun. i'd like some input. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Making your own live cd? hmm

Hey,
    has anyone tried making their own live cd using linux live? or anything of that sort?
    it looks very interesting...(and long) but still fun.
    i'd like some input. is there anyone who has done this that can give me some tips/tricks, advice, or anything?
    what do you people think of it?
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Linux Enthusiast
    I followed "knoppix pocket refference" book from O'RELLY, and it worked. This way you can remove/add programs, change configs ...
    Basically what you would do is:
    boot KNOPPIX CD, create linux partition of about 4.5 GB and mount it as read/write, create swapfile, create source/KNOPPIX directory on mounted partition, copy /KOPPIX directory from CD to source/KNOPPIX on partition, copy network configuration files, chroot into this directory, mount proc, make your changes, umount proc, exit chroot, make master CD filesystem, generate new checksums, create CD image, check how your CD will work by booting your computer from this image, and finally burn the image on CD.

Linux Live is pretty good. I kept having an error regarding read-only filesystems during boot which I was unable to fix but other than that, it does what it says.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie
    Not for the faint of heart, but LFS is solid gold I tell ya.
    Dont know if the process of creating the Live CD is explained though.

Quote Originally Posted by darklordsatan
    Not for the faint of heart, but LFS is solid gold I tell ya.
    Dont know if the process of creating the Live CD is explained though.

ah yes. i have seen LFS before and it looks really interesting but really intimidating at the same time. How much technical skill does it require? I learn pretty fast so if there is good documentation i might give it a try... time is not a factor.

have you tried it, darklordsatan?....(that last line sounded strange when said out loud )
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Linux Engineer
    It's not too advanced if you follow the guidelines. If you don't understand, just copy&paste

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jpalfree
    ah yes. i have seen LFS before and it looks really interesting but really intimidating at the same time. How much technical skill does it require? I learn pretty fast so if there is good documentation i might give it a try... time is not a factor.

have you tried it, darklordsatan?....(that last line sounded strange when said out loud )
    Yes I have. Believe me, its not that hard. And as jaboua said, you can always try L' Copy & Paste. Though you say you learn fast, so you should really give it a try