Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old computer i was using and at some point the fan on the processor burnt out. The heat sink was ripped off and the fan is dead ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to tell if your processor is dead

I have an old computer i was using and at some point the fan on the processor burnt out. The heat sink was ripped off and the fan is dead but i dont know if the processor is. Other than turning it on w/o a fan and heat sink is there any other way to tell if its still working?

Linux Newbie
    you can just switch it on cause it won heat up straight away if you leave it on for about 20 secs to see if it boots it wont do extreem damage.
    good luck
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Just Joined!
    thanks! i will try it. i just wanted to make sur e if it wasnt broken i dont make it worse. its only a P2 233 but still...

Linux Newbie
    if you really wanted to be safe get a multimeter from maplin or radioshack or somewhere like that. it will tell you if there is voltage getting to the proccessor or net if it doesn't run and you can also test circuts and apmages on the board to see if the problem (if there is one) is anywhere else.
    good luck
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Just Joined!
    i tryed turning it on after i hooked it up and all i got was the monitor flashing the no signal connection window. Also the power button doesnt like to turn off. lol

I guess i need to save up for another computer to tniker on instead or steal an old one from my school. They have alot of old 4oo mhz computers laying around in storage becasue they just got a whole new set for the computer lab from gateway.....