Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all -- hats off to those guys at Novell for SUSE9.3. I recently had a hard-drive crash that led to me losing all my mp3's -- apart from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can gtkpod handle a forward-slash in filenames??

First of all -- hats off to those guys at Novell for SUSE9.3. I recently had a hard-drive crash that led to me losing all my mp3's -- apart from the ones on my ipod. After installing suse9.3 I plugged in my ipod and it opened a folder that let me copy all my tunes back to my computer!! Everything has been salvaged, and there was no hassle mounting the ipod or reading/copying it.

But to get to the point -- realplayer is having difficulty playing my AC/DC albums due to the forward-slash (or is it a back-slash?) in their name and I'm worried that when I install gtkpod it won't be able to copy their stuff to and from my ipod.

Has anyone else come across this, and, if so, was it a problem??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

I'm surprised it even has a '/' in it, as neither Windows or *n?x allow that character to be in filenames. Is it in the tag data or in the filename? If you're stuck you will be able to modify or replace that charcter from a script.

Linux Engineer
    Rename it AC\DC

When I look at it from the command line the folder's name is AC%3fDC, so it was smart enough to replace the '/' with the control character. Konqueror recognises the control character and replaces it with a '/' in the title bar, however it is dumb enough to pass the '/' to realplayer when I try to play any of the tracks, and that's when things go wrong.

It might be ok to use gtkpod to transfer this, but I'll find out later when I finally get around to installing it.

Cheers!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode