Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I need some help with a hardware installation. I have downloaded the ATI drivers for my Radeon 9800 and I'm sure I've selected the right version. The installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Radeon 9800 on SuSE 8.2 pro

Hi folks,

I need some help with a hardware installation. I have downloaded the ATI drivers for my Radeon 9800 and I'm sure I've selected the right version. The installation is fine because it's an rpm but in the graphics card config menu (YaST2) i can't select anything other than VESA. Also when I rebooted the next time the system obviously wanted to initiate the new drivers but turned up:

"fatal server error:
    no screens found
    XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer)
    on X server :0.0"

I'm sure this is graphics card related as this happened to me before when I selected the wrong card during installation.

I'm also running my mouse using PS/2 instead of USB because I'm not shure how to change to USB in YaST2 so that the mouse actually works after the next bootup. I have a Logitech MX500.

thx for the help.

Linux Engineer
    You should use fglrxconfig to generate your config file for X.

Just Joined!
    Ummm... yeah, well I'm sorta new to linux so is "fglrxconfig" a shell command or a programme? If so where can I find/get it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    what i would do is this:

if X is still not starting then log in to the consol as root and type Ļinit 3" then do "sax2 -a" to auto generate a basic xconfig file then type "init 5" and "startx blackbox" (kde,gnome,windowmaker,whatever) you should now be able to log in graphicaly again. you can now run sax2 to configure your card.

Linux Engineer
    fglrxconfig is a utility provited with ati's drivers which will auto config X for you. I don't know about your box but mine is in /opt/ati/bin

Just Joined!
    you cannot use sax-2 with ati drivers.

Did you get the driver installed ok? If so, that's the hard part. IF you can do that, then running fglrxconfig ought to be a snap.

Just Joined!
    thx folks,

I think I can handle it from here on...

How do you install the Mx-500 usb mouse anyway?

Anytime I select "USB mouse" in YaST2 it just hangs after reset and all-keyboard controling isn't fun

Just Joined!
    how do I run fglrxconfig?

I know im a newbie...

Linux Engineer
    cd to the dir it is in and type ./command. Of you can put the entire path to the command ie /opt/bin/command or if it is in your path, just type it.