Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install Suse on an old PC. I need to install it in text mode because the PC freezes whenever there is a GUI (linux or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB accessing CD-rom

Hi,

I am trying to install Suse on an old PC. I need to install it in text mode because the PC freezes whenever there is a GUI (linux or windows) (the hardware is deffective but the PC works fine as long as there is no GUI). When I boot the Suse CD, it freezes before I can choose text mode.

So I created a GRUB boot disc. I want to manually call the suse kernel on the CD from the GRUB prompt. However, I can't figure out how to access the CD drive from GRUB.

Is it possible for GRUB to load a kernel from a CD?

PS. Please do not reply telling me to fix/replace the hardware problem. I am aware of it and I chose not to fix it because it works fine with other distros (the ones without graphical installers).

Thanks.

Banned

Re: GRUB accessing CD-rom

Quote Originally Posted by helpmhost
    Hi,

I am trying to install Suse on an old PC. I need to install it in text mode because the PC freezes whenever there is a GUI (linux or windows) (the hardware is deffective but the PC works fine as long as there is no GUI). When I boot the Suse CD, it freezes before I can choose text mode.

So I created a GRUB boot disc. I want to manually call the suse kernel on the CD from the GRUB prompt. However, I can't figure out how to access the CD drive from GRUB.

Is it possible for GRUB to load a kernel from a CD?

PS. Please do not reply telling me to fix/replace the hardware problem. I am aware of it and I chose not to fix it because it works fine with other distros (the ones without graphical installers).

Thanks.
    You're better of using this floppy:
    http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

...but I doubt if any of those floppies can stop this freezing(they will still use the same cd and kernel image)...

Linux Guru

Re: GRUB accessing CD-rom

Quote Originally Posted by helpmhost
    When I boot the Suse CD, it freezes before I can choose text mode.
    I know that some users love their SuSE, but I got a SuSE liveCD and when I boot it on my dual PIII with 1Gb ram, it tells me my system is cool, but that SuSE needs at least 256Mb ram. And there is nothing I can do but re-boot. There is never an option for boot parameters or anything else, just a smart answer and nothing. Keep the hardware, scrap the CD and try something else. Maybe Slackware? That can work on anything.

...damn lizard
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close