Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to start a business that involves the internet and email. Im fairly new to linux, but I know enough to realize that this is probably the best os ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

web page design

I want to start a business that involves the internet and email. Im fairly new to linux, but I know enough to realize that this is probably the best os to use as far as stability and security. I know nothing about writing programs or web pages, however, hence my problem. I have several friends I trust and that are well enough versed in winbloze to write the type of program i need, but I dont know anyone that well versed in linux that i can trust not to steal my idea. I intend to have a web page that people will sign up on, giving me some information, including their email address. I would like then to have this program (or another program if necessary) to automatically send each of my clients an email every day. I know nothing about programing, but I am a fast learner. If i've provided enough info, does anyone have any suggestions on where i can learn to write such a program? Books, websites, etc?

Linux Engineer
    For you webbsite you can use PHP that is a language to write webbpages in. Mysql is a database you can use in combination with PHP. And apache as the webbserver.

To write a program to send a mass-email every day isnt hard at all. All programs above is included on allmost all linux distributions.

Remember to stop and disable all unnessasary services on you linux box and secure apache if you gona have it facing the internet. Maybe a chroot jail for apache.
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Do you know of any books or sites that discuss basic program writing that i can use?

Linux Engineer
    some webspace providers give you the option of haveing an autoresponder to emails (www.oneandone.co.uk) to make a website i sugest you start by useing Quanta web developement. to make websites of the standard you are talking about requiers a lot of effort. if this is a business venture theni would sugest paying a profesional to make the website. just make sure they garuantee to support web standards. and dont just use some cruddy dreamweaver program. the auto responder software you speak of is very simple and there are probably a lot of pre made scripts to allow you to do that. but like i say pick a webspace provider that gives you that option anyway! There are countless sites for help with programming. it depends on what you want your software to do! i sugest you start with google searches for programming for beginers tips or just but a "learn programming" book

Just Joined!
    My only problem with paying a professional is that i have no guarantee that they're not gonna run off with my idea. I guess i could go copyright my idea, but i think you you have to have something concrete (tangible) in order to copyright it. (im in the us, if that makes a difference).

IMHO, If you are new to webdesign and programming I suggest you have a look at Coldfusion. I have experience with languages such as ASP and PHP but Coldfusion seems to be so much easier. I think a novice user would be better off investing is time in Coldfusion rather than another language.

Cheers
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Engineer
    by paying a professional you have certain garanteed rights that you wont get if you get a "friend" to make anything for you. you can release anything you make, with a valid copyright. for example the General Public Licence. this is what the majority of open source software is released under. it is still owned by the author and is still copyrighted. different copyrights have different uses. to maek something that you have made copyrighted, all you have to do is state that it is copyrighted and ensure that it is not allready been made by someone else. that way no-one can steal your idea providing you make available a valid copyright noticce