Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I need to autoconfigure a LOCAL USB printer.My situation is like this. When a user connects the USB printer to a linux machine, the configuration work for that printer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Autoconfiguring a LOCAL USB Printer

Hello,
    I need to autoconfigure a LOCAL USB printer.My situation is like this.

When a user connects the USB printer to a linux machine, the configuration work for that printer should be done automatically. Like choosing a printer name, printer device and printer driver all these steps should be done in the background without any interaction with the user. The user doesnot have to do any kind of configuration work. He just have to plug-in the USB cable and start using the printer.

My plan was to grep the printer details when the user connects the USB cable, add printer name, printer device and printer driver to the /etc/printcap.local file. After restarting the lpd daemon /etc/printcap.local file contents will be added to /etc/printcap , so the user can continue using the printer.

I want to know how I can grab the information from the printer. Is this kind of automation is possible? Are there some other ways to do this? I am looking for some suggestions. I dont have a clear idea now, but I am still trying to do this. If I get some ideas I can proceed further.

Thanks
    Seran

I have a local usb printer, and I just run /etc/init.d/cupsd at bootup and it does all that stuff for me automatically. Have you investigated using something like CUPS or LPRng?