Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
unless its a distro that doesnt come with nvidia drivers... or you want something and apt-get says its unknown or in my case with openSUSE i just use YaST which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

unless its a distro that doesnt come with nvidia drivers... or you want something and apt-get says its unknown or in my case with openSUSE i just use YaST which works pretty darn good.

i got good enough at installing windows that i didnt spend as much time searching for stuff... i knew the urls by heart

btw ... i am not saying linux bad windows good... or linux good windows bad ... im saying ... i like both os's in certain ways.

p.s.... if you want a program... apt-get will get it for you yes? what if you don't know the name? will apt-get figure that out for you.... or do you need to search the net to find it... then trial and error on the exact name with apt-get?
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    But yeah.. installing Linux for the past few years has apparently just spoiled me.
    And what's wrong with being spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by fyrephlie
    p.s.... if you want a program... apt-get will get it for you yes? what if you don't know the name? will apt-get figure that out for you.... or do you need to search the net to find it... then trial and error on the exact name with apt-get?
    If I don't know the exact name, that's what "apt-cache search" is for. If I don't even vaguely know the name, then why do I care?

If it's just a particular job you want to do, the default software suite of most Debian based distributions probably already has something for it--you just look around in the "programs" menu. Unlike a typical Windows installation, that menu is actually organized into useful categories.

Now, it's true that not everything you could possibly want is in the standard Debian repositories. But they're very comprehensive and well tested compared most alternatives.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Ok i recently got bored and completely wiped my laptop and started over and here were my install times. **Note** I had all my cd's in one cd holder waiting and ready to go.

XP took (including the time on the phone to reactivate since i'd already done that twice online) 3 hours and 04 minutes to install the OS, service pack, all my programs and activate it.

SimplyMEPIS 3.1.1-1 took 1 hour 49 minutes (apparently the repositories were getting hit a little a couple of the downloads were slow) to completely install all of my software (including firefox upgrades etc) and reconfigure my desktop so it looks the way i wanted it.

Anyway i just thought i'd share.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Quote Originally Posted by truoc444
    XP took (including the time on the phone to reactivate since i'd already done that twice online) 3 hours and 04 minutes to install the OS, service pack, all my programs and activate it.
    You can stream the Service Pack into your install and burn a new ISO file so that your install is automatically patched. It would save you a little bit of time.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i did have it on cd. i didn't have to download it. how do you stream it i'm intrigued. do you have a howto somewhere for that? i might have to try it again just to see if i can do it any faster this time

Go 'Stros!

i did have it on cd. i didn't have to download it. how do you stream it i'm intrigued. do you have a howto somewhere for that? i might have to try it again just to see if i can do it any faster this time
    Yes, I had an XP Service Pack 1 disc (legitimate, thanks) and an official Service Pack 2 CDROM that I ordered for free from Microsoft a while back (why not cost them shipping?), and I took a slipstreaming program (I *think* it was this one, but I'm not sure), which created a new ISO, burned the ISO, and voila.

Here are a few how-tos:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
    http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_...pstreaming.htm
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Thanks Moe you da man.

**Edit** I just tried 7 different sites to download slipstreamer and got a page that says invalid file each time. Weird.

Go 'Stros!

Thanks Moe you da man.

**Edit** I just tried 7 different sites to download slipstreamer and got a page that says invalid file each time. Weird.
    I just noticed that as well... The howtos I linked have manual ways to do it.. It's just more work.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Moe you da man.

try:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

again... link clicking for me brought up download dialogues....

spoiler alert.... this takes some time, about as long as it does to reinstall windows... and unless you plan on re-installing a lot it isn't worth it.

as to the amount of time it took you to install..... i have already said that xp installs are not the fastest..... but never more than 2 hours. simplyMEPIS for me took like 45 minutes.
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast