Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Let's face it, Linux is an amazing OS which is extremely secure and dependable. But if any of us want to play a game, or use any Microsoft Compatible software ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Huge Step Forward In Linux - Is It Possible...

Let's face it, Linux is an amazing OS which is extremely secure and dependable. But if any of us want to play a game, or use any Microsoft Compatible software easily we're still stuck with windows, an OS so ridden with security holes it's insane. I'm fairly new at Linux, so forgive me for being a little green here. I've been a long time user of windows - shame on me. But i have to ask, is there no way to design a package that would allow seamless integration of windows programs and drivers with linux. Where one could pop in say for the sake of argument A D-Link Wireless Driver cd, and an autorun would come up and you could install drivers easily. I speak from experience because i have a D-Link Wireless USB Adapter and i can't get the thing to work. If Linux and all it's supporters really wanna make a jab and suck some of the blood out of microsoft's veins and pocketbook, it needs to have seamless integration with all windows software as distasteful as that is, let's face it, everything is made for windows. Isn't there anyway to make this package a reality, there must be. Comments and suggestions on this are much appreciated, and please make sure to forward this and any thoughts you have about this to your favourite Linux OS provider, together we can end microsoft's Reign of terror.

Linux Newbie
    www.transgaming.com
    www.winehq.com
    www.frankscorner.org
    www.liflg.org
    http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=45

its not as easy as autorun popping up... but typing 'wine autoplay.exe' in the terminal
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Linux Enthusiast
    you could try ndiswrapper.
    check this link:
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Use search for ndiswrapper help on this forum.

If Linux and all it's supporters really wanna make a jab and suck some of the blood out of microsoft's veins and pocketbook, it needs to have seamless integration with all windows software as distasteful as that is, let's face it, everything is made for windows.
    I disagree completely... that is exactly opposite from what the Linux Community should do. The Linux Community needs to be a leader, not a follower. The Linux Community needs to stop trying to duplicate Microsoft's environment, look and feel, efforts, and innovations - and, instead, "be themselves" - "do their own thing"... And, do it in such a way that it "knocks the socks off" of the average user, and puts Microsoft/Windows to shame in every possible way (not so much by intent, but as a side-effect of creating such a good OS environment). Linux needs to follow a pattern set down by Linux/OpenSource, not by Microsoft. As long as Linux developers are willing to "lag" behind Microsoft - and follow Microsoft's lead - allowing Microsoft to control the destiny of their every effort - that is exactly what will continue to occur forever... On the other hand, in as much as Linux developers decide to just ignore what Microsoft thinks or promotes about standards, conventions, file formats, etc. - and create their own universal standards, conventions, file formats, etc. - we will all be able to move more quickly away from the Microsoft/Windows monopoly jail. Yes, I realize this is easier said than done. And, I believe there are in fact some projects going on (and some ideas being thrown around) right now in this very arena. I commend all of those who are working on these efforts (I would certainly like to spend some serious time on these efforts, myself.). I also realize that having a multi-billion-dollar giant gorilla on your back - working against you - doesn't exactly help matters any...

You might say, "It is still a good thing for Linux environments to be able to import from Microsoft's (and others) file formats, etc... - and do other such things in this like manner..." - Well, sure! Of course, that is true. But, by no stretch of imagination does this mean that Linux should "bow down" to Microsoft - by only creating/developing/producing in a mode of operation that is only a reflection of Microsoft (i.e., following in Microsoft's footsteps).

The Linux Community should not link to or wrap itself around Microsoft's environment/software/etc. -- instead, it should completely replace Microsoft's environment/software/etc. -- Don't copy! Innovate! Spending all your of time, efforts, and resources copying will guarantee you a back seat...

If you want to be a true leader in this situation, you have to think outside the box, then step into the box (on your own two feet), hold the bat tight with both hands, and know just when and how to swing... It may not be easy, but it is nonetheless a requirement.

Everything is not made for Windows - there is a lot of stuff out there made for Linux...
    And, in time, a whole lot more "Windows replacements" will be created/developed/produced... Just remember that Microsoft/Windows had a 20-something year head-start...

...we can end microsoft's Reign of terror.
    The answer to this is a lot simpler than you may realize. All that is required to accomplish this seemingly impossible feat is a matter of self-discipline. For as long as Microsoft can keep you feeling giddy about stuff they have convinced you you just gotta have right now, they will continue to rule over you - and keep you captive... However, if you will realize that this "Reign of Terror" exists (and continues to exist, and "have power") in part because YOU are supporting it - you can begin to overcome it. If you want the "Reign of Terror" to end, STOP supporting it! You have to ask yourself the question, "What is more important?" - and then, discipline yourself accordingly. If you "just gotta have" any and every latest-and-greatest bell-and-whistle hardware/software/technology thing that comes out (especially the moment it comes out) -- then, IMO, you should accept the fact - and realize, deep within yourself - that you have made yourself into an unnecessary victim - you have let yourself fall into a trap... And, the only way out of that trap - is to make the proper choices/decisions -- and with self-discipline, see them through - hold tight, and don't let go for anything...

On the other hand, if everyone who felt as sirjohnmag describes would just stop spending their time and their hard-earned money on Microsoft products and decide to fully support Linux/OpenSource instead - you would be amazed at how fast the "Windows replacements" (from above) would happen...

Some people say, that if the Linux Community just had more money - that development could be accelerated -- where does their money go? Microsoft.

Now, I am not saying to anyone that they are an idiot if they make a conscious (and well deserved) decision to buy something from Microsoft. What I am saying, is: Consider your priorities...

What the Linux Community needs is good clear vision accompanied by good solid self-discipline on the part of every member of the community.

And as the community grows...

Think about it...

Linux Engineer

Re: A Huge Step Forward In Linux - Is It Possible...

Quote Originally Posted by sirjohnmag
    If Linux and all it's supporters really wanna make a jab and suck some of the blood out of microsoft's veins and pocketbook, it needs to have seamless integration with all windows software as distasteful as that is, let's face it, everything is made for windows.
    Then why on earth do I find loads of *nix software every day, on and on?

If you like linux, than you'll have to accept its philosophy also. And that's not the one MS is following. Why should there be integration between Windows software and Linux, if there are viable alternatives? Why not let the software companies write linux-compatible software?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Re: A Huge Step Forward In Linux - Is It Possible...

Quote Originally Posted by sirjohnmag
    Let's face it, Linux is an amazing OS which is extremely secure and dependable. But if any of us want to play a game, or use any Microsoft Compatible software easily we're still stuck with windows...
    Not quite. I play Doom 3, Neverwinter Nights, the Quake series, the Unreal Tournament Series, Sim City 3000, and several other commercial games in Linux just fine. Given, the vast majority of games only play on MS Windows, but there are alternatives available.

I'm fairly new at Linux, so forgive me for being a little green here. I've been a long time user of windows - shame on me. But i have to ask, is there no way to design a package that would allow seamless integration of windows programs and drivers with linux.
    No. This is Microsoft's fault, because their OS is completely proprietary and the underlying code is not available for open-source programmers to write equivalents. Until this happens, what you suggest is impossible.

Where one could pop in say for the sake of argument A D-Link Wireless Driver cd, and an autorun would come up and you could install drivers easily.
    This is the fault of D-Link for not providing Linux drivers, and also not allowing the specifications for their cards be seen by Linux developers who would gladly write drivers FOR them, for free.

If Linux and all it's supporters really wanna make a jab and suck some of the blood out of microsoft's veins and pocketbook, it needs to have seamless integration with all windows software as distasteful as that is, let's face it, everything is made for windows. Isn't there anyway to make this package a reality, there must be.
    Sure, petition the companies that do not offer Linux drivers, or offer bad ones. Tell them you buy their products but will not continue to in the future unless they step up their Linux support.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

If there's anything I do NOT miss about using Windows, it's having a gazillion CD's of software and drivers which have to be individually installed around. It sucks.

I love that with Debian and other Linux distributions, the computer goes and finds/downloads/installs software from the Internet instead of me tediously doing all the legwork (as with Windows).

Overall, my experience with getting hardware working in Linux has been much more pleasant than my experience getting hardware working in Windows.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    If there's anything I do NOT miss about using Windows, it's having a gazillion CD's of software and drivers which have to be individually installed around. It sucks.
    I recently was reminded of this when I had to reinstall XP. I tossed my room for an hour looking for all the various floppies and CDs that contained drivers and applications that are just part of the installation in Linux. I had to go out and buy a cheap floppy drive in order to be able to install XP on my SATA harddrives. But yeah.. installing Linux for the past few years has apparently just spoiled me.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    clearly his linux install didn't support his d-link... lol. although something tells me that a little searching might actually turn something up.

i myself have not used a 'driver' cd in forever.... they are outdated the day they ship... i just build a 'driver' directory in windows and go to the 4-10 wendor's site, download, double click the file, and go (no ./configure ; make ; make install ... fail i need another package to make this one work... get the other package i need ....try again ... get another lib i need.... oops wrong compiler.... hehe) but im new to linux so hey ... im doing stuff wrong, i'm sure. but i myself never dreaded a windows install because i would have to seek out lots of cds... just the time it takes to track down drivers off the internet. windows installs take a lot longer... but im used to it.
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Quote Originally Posted by fyrephlie
    clearly his linux install didn't support his d-link... lol. although something tells me that a little searching might actually turn something up.

i myself have not used a 'driver' cd in forever.... they are outdated the day they ship... i just build a 'driver' directory in windows and go to the 4-10 wendor's site, download, double click the file, and go (no ./configure ; make ; make install ... fail i need another package to make this one work... get the other package i need ....try again ... get another lib i need.... oops wrong compiler.... hehe) but im new to linux so hey ... im doing stuff wrong, i'm sure. but i myself never dreaded a windows install because i would have to seek out lots of cds... just the time it takes to track down drivers off the internet. windows installs take a lot longer... but im used to it.
    Ahem. You don't need to ./configure; make; make install in linux. Let's pretend you want Gpdf, a nice little program for viewing .pdf files. If I was using Debian or any of the debian-based distros, I'd type into a console "apt-get install gpdf". Much easier than having to go to some website, find the download page, wait for the download, install (during which I have to answer various silly questions) etc. Since I'm using Gentoo at the moment, I'd do 'emerge gpdf'.

The only thing worse than installing Windows XP is installing some older windows on an old machine, since the floppies are long gone, and it usually takes ages to find the right drivers on the net. Give me apt-get or emerge any day.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast