Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I was installing Red Hat 6.2, I chose the option to reformat my partition as a linux partition. Then when it was ready to install, it formatted my partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux partioned drive won't work.

When I was installing Red Hat 6.2, I chose the option to reformat my partition as a linux partition. Then when it was ready to install, it formatted my partition but it wouldn't install because the drive wasn't big enough(it's kind of old, but still works). I only had one partition on the drive, and now it's linux formatted. My computer won't recognize it when it boots, and I can't reformat because the computer doesn't think it exists. What do I do?

Linux Enthusiast
    Can we get some more info of your computer? It would really be helpful.

And is there any reason why you're trying to install a 4 year old distro?

If you partitioned your drive from windows, just use the partitioner to delete the partition and format the drive as NTFS for windows. If you didn't, then you're gonna need a boot disk that contains a partitioner -- I'd recommend using Knoppix, which is a linux distribution that runs straight from the CD without installing anything on your drive. This contains an excellent little program called qtparted (a Partition Magic clone) that can be used to repartition, format, etc.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What you should do with old redhat versions is to try and reduce the amount of unnecessary packages using the manual package selection process. And if you want to reformat the drive for windows or something, you could use fdisk found on a Win 95/98 bootdisk to delete the partitions.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I think my computer is a Dell, but it's pretty old, and I pieced it together from a bunch of old parts. The drive used to have Win 95 on it, but i formatted it so I could install Red Hat. I did this in DOS mode. Then I used a Red Hat cd to install Linux. But it only reformatted the drive, it didn't install. When Red Hat reformatted my drive, it wiped it completely clean, no DOS. I can't get any of my computers to recognize it. I tried to repartition using fdisk, but it won't recognize the drive either. That's why I have this problem. On bootup, the computer won't recognize it, so I can't do anything with it. Also the reason I'm installing such an old version is because I don't think the computer will run anything newer. I just got Red Hat 9, but it's a DVD and I don't have a DVD drive on anthing I'm allowed to mess with. Can't touch the brand new, shiny, high tech computer. They I'll break it or something. But that's another story.

Just Joined!
    P.S. I'm pretty new to linux.

how big is the hard-drive? If it is > 6 gigs, I would say try get a cd version of RH9 or one of the newer FC distros (FC is the now open source version of RH). When installing it, be sure to allocate a lot of swap space, I would say for that old a computer atleast 500 - 600 MB swap space or more if you can spare it. And then install the distro.

If your drive is < 5 gigs say 2 - 3 gigs, I would suggest you go for something like DSL (Damm Small Linux) as it was intended for such older machines. I would still say that you need 500 odd MB of swap space if you are going to run a graphical environment such as KDE or GNOME.

if you still want to stick with the present version of RH, download a Knoppix live cd and use the qtparted program on it to partition the drive and then install RH.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I think the drive is only about 400 megs. I don't want to install Red Hat on it anymore, I just want to make it work. The computer doesn't see the drive when it boots, so no programs will see the drive, therefore I can't format or partition it. Also, can anyone tell me how to get my RH 9 dvd on to a cd?
    The info is to large too fit on a single one. I don't know how to split the files up and copy them to more than one cd and still make the install work. Thanks.

Just Joined!

linux created an imaginary drive

i tried installing redhat enterprise in my slave IDE harddisk. some problem occured and the install didnt happen. this left an imaginary drive in my master sata disk on which i use XP, now this drive when clicked shows incorrect parameter. this has resulted in corruption of some file and iam not able to access my c:. the window closes down automatically.. now plzzzzz provide a solution to this.. i tried fixing the MBR etc.. but a waste of time it was... the problem still lags..

Boot from the linux install cd. When you get to the partiioning,
    make one single partion, and flag it as a FAT32 partion.
    Use fdisk, not disk druid. let it write the partion table, and then abort
    the installation. Windows should now be able to format the
    partion.