Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know that I can just insert the xp disk but when I do this I get the following message: "Attemping to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uninstalling redhat and switching to xp

I know that I can just insert the xp disk but when I do this I get the following message:

"Attemping to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32-bit x86 operating system.

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

Is there an alternate way that I have to install xp? This is on a Dell Latitude by the way. Oh and my main reason for switching is because I haven't been able to find a wireless network adapter compatible with linux. Wireless internet is the main reason I got this laptop.

Maybe you downloaded the wrong distro? XP? I've not heard of Linux XP? You're not asking for help with a Microsoft product on this board are you...

Sorry, couldn't resist it! Here's my real help:

Looks to me like you're trying to load a 64 bit operating system on a 32 bit computer. Maybe you got the wrong Windows XP disk out?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I installed xp with the same disk, on the same computer months before. This shouldn't happen.

Re: uninstalling redhat and switching to xp

Quote Originally Posted by tony11235
    I know that I can just insert the xp disk but when I do this I get the following message:

"Attemping to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32-bit x86 operating system.

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."
    This error would only pop up if you were trying to install the 64-bit version of Windows XP onto a 32-bit CPU. What type of CPU is your Dell? Did it not come with an OS recovery CD?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Instead of using XP, just used Ndiswrapper for your wireless network

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    Instead of using XP, just used Ndiswrapper for your wireless network
    *nods head* silly person, why not ask here on the forums if you need help with wireless.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    I should probably just google this, but what exactly is Ndiswrapper? If this will actually provide me wireless internet on my laptop, then I would just stick to linux.

I should probably just google this, but what exactly is Ndiswrapper? If this will actually provide me wireless internet on my laptop, then I would just stick to linux.
    You should google it, but I'll provide you with a link anyway:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

It's an application that allows you to use your MS Windows drivers for your wireless card in Linux.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I would still like to know why I am getting this response when I did not the first time I reinstalled xp on my laptop.

I would still like to know why I am getting this response when I did not the first time I reinstalled xp on my laptop.
    If the message you posted is exactly what you're getting, then you tried to install a 64-bit operating system on a 32-bit system. That is the only logical explanation. If as you said the disc is the same one you used to previously install a 32-bit version of MS Windows on your 32-bit laptop, a black hole has apparently opened in the space/time continuum and someone has switched your XP disc with an XP64 disc.

In other words, although I'm pretty good at understanding Linux, I have no idea when it comes to most things dealing with Microsoft Windows.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast