Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
That's very possible, since most of these "personal edition firewalls" block pings, since an echo reply is used to indicate that the machine in question is actually up on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

That's very possible, since most of these "personal edition firewalls" block pings, since an echo reply is used to indicate that the machine in question is actually up on the net.
    However, if your linux router is between the windows machine and the internet, you can just as well remove the firewall anyway, since the router will protect it.

Just Joined!
    I guess, that for now, I may as well leave the personal firewall on the win machine, since aside from blocking the ping, it does not appear to do anything awkward, so may as well have it running just in case the firewall on the gateway goes down anytime. Although I am tempted just to remove the win firewall just to ease the process load for instance.

Linux Guru
    Don't worry, the firewall on the router doesn't "go down". You see, if you have a NATing router (which I assume you have), all incoming connections stop at the router, since the router cannot possibly know which computer on the local net to send them to, should they really be headed for it. So there isn't really a firewall to "go down". If your firewall settings actually do go down, it would just mean that the local machines can't access the internet. The internet can access the local machines just as little as normal.
    Sorry for being unclear, but I'm _really_ tired.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2