Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a red hat gateway machine on a cable modem - on the home lan is a win98 machine happily connecting to the net and also reading the gateway ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suddenly it seems, samba and net connection lost?

I have a red hat gateway machine on a cable modem - on the home lan is a win98 machine happily connecting to the net and also reading the gateway via samba - I added another red hat machine to the lan - I accidentaly turned of the gateway!! Whlst the gateway was off, I got sambe connecting from the new red hat machine to the win98 box. When I turned the gateway back on, I was able to get through to the net from the new linux box - however now, I cannot get onto the net now from the new linux box and also the win98 sees the gateway with samba but no longer sees the new linux box. When I ping the new linux box from the win machine that works but pinging the win machine from the new linux does not?? The resolv.conf file on the new machine still has the correct gateway and dns addresses in it - can anyone shed a light?? Running find computer from win does find the new linux box, but the net neighbourhood does not now find it.

thanks.

Linux Guru
    Can you describe your network setup more thoroughly, such as IP addresses, subnets, etc.? What other protocols do you use (such as DHCP or so)?

Just Joined!
    thanks for reply - the network is running on just TCP except that the internet facing NIC is on DHCP and gets the IP from the ISP.

I have all the machines on the LAN in the 192.168.1 range - the machine that is new has 2 NICS so that eth0 can be attached to the internet if this machine needs to take over from the web server - at first I did set up eth0 on this new machine with DHCP but have temporarily assigned it a local LAN IP so that it does not hang about too long on boot when it waits for DHCP till it fails - so I have put seperate IP addresses of the 192.168.1 network on eth0 and eth1 on the new machine but only plugged a cable into eth1.

The gateway is the current web server and the DNS are those supplied by the ISP who supply my cable connection.

A 10MB hub is used to connect the LAN machiines - all machines on the LAN have the same gateway, DNS servers and workgroup and network range.

Michael.

Linux Guru
    You say that you can ping the linux box from the windows box, but not the opposite. Do you get an error message then, or do the pings just time out? Do you ping the IP address or the network name of the windows box?

Just Joined!
    The ping from the win machine gets through though not alwasy the first ping, the ping from the linux box just doesn't give any messages till when I do the <CTRL> C it shows the end script that loss was 100%

I shut the machine down and plugged the cable into eth0 on the linux box - the result was that the machine showed up in windows explorer but would not let me access it even so - ping did not work either way? the linux box did successfully access the internet via eth0 - so I ckecked the NIC cfg files in network-scripts and saw that in fact I have the same configuration for each card - I left that for now and switched the machine off again and put the cable back into eth1 - this time after boot, the machine showed up still in win explorer and was accessible, but ping still did not work from the linux machine, and internet connection/browsing did not work from eth1 - I rebooted and this time, the machine no longer shows up in win explorer at all!

I tried ping with both IP and machine name, with the gateway/server, the ping worked with both ip and name from the local linux machine in question but ping from this machine to the win box still did not work with either IP or name ping, but the hosts file does have the details.

Michael.

Linux Guru
    So you can ping the gateway from the new linux machine, but it cannot ping the windows one?
    This is pretty weird... I'm almost guessing it's an arp problem or something.
    All three machines were connected through a hub, right? Not a switch? If it is a hub, download some network monitoring software to the gateway (I recommend ethereal) and listen on the internal interface (remember to listen in promiscuous mode), and see which machine that misbehaves.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion - I have found that I have Ethereal on the server system and have downloaded the documentation which I shall cast my eyes over before running the program - I can probably not get down to actually doing the tests till later in the week, so I hope to post my results in a few days.

Just Joined!
    The problem re samba seems to have been to do with me having unwittingly set both eth0 and eth1 to the same ip address - now I have set the eth0 to dhcp as it would have to be if in use as a web server, and also disabled eth0 so it stays dead till I enable it if ever needed - now sambe works fine - however I can still not ping from this linux machine to a win machine on the lan though I can ping another red hat machine, and the win machine can ping both red hat machines - both linux machines can ping each other, neither linux machine can ping the win machine - I wondered if it was due to something with the firewall on the win machine (sygate) but have not found anything there yet.

Michael

Just Joined!
    When I add another win machine to the LAN, and ping that from the linux box(es), the ping works fine - I am assuming at the moment that the reason that ping does not work to the win machine in question is in fact just that the firewall it is running (sygate personal edition) is stopping a response, and so far I have not figured out how!! But machines without the firewall will ping fine and the 'don't ping me' machine can ping all the others. so basically it just looks like me not figuring the sygate firewall.

Michael.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, when I moved up here from FL, I installed my linux box on my network with a router. My mom's computer had McAfee Firewall running and it basically locked it all out from inet access. I couldn't do anything with it. I removed the firewall, and it worked fine. Besides, with the router, it was already behind a NAT firewall.

Tithefug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast