Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to run Suse on an older HP Pavillion 8756C. It has a MX 440 Se card in it. I was given this machine by a frusterated Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Vidio Issues

I am trying to run Suse on an older HP Pavillion 8756C. It has a MX 440 Se card in it. I was given this machine by a frusterated Win ME owner.It was crashy and flakey under Windows. When I got it I first tried a Debian flavored Knoppix, a live Linspire,Debian Sarge and recently Ubuntu. They all installed til the call for X to start ,then froze up there. A black screen with only a single dead curser in the upper left, except Sarge ,which displated F1-F6 consoles. I installed Suse 9.3 and got grafics only in Vesa.If I try to run Sax2 or to config Nvidia in any way that I have found so far ,I either get only F1-F6consoles ,or else the dreaded black screen. Mostly fixable with a hard boot. But sometimes only a reinstall. Four so far.My question is, is this hardware related? vidio card dead?Or MOBO/bus dead?Any other options? I would really like to get Suse going as it seems to be an awsome powerful distro.Not too impressed with Linspire 4.5 though.A good starting point maybe.I really liked what I saw of my peek at Debian Sarge as well.Any way any help with Suse and the HP will be appreciated

Linux Engineer
    Sounds like there's no driver for your card

And never, ever touch Linspire again.

Just Joined!

Vidio Issues

I have tried YOU to install the drivers with no result or success, but have found some useful posts on this site and will try again. thx a thing.Point taken re LOS.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Video Issue Remains

I went to Nvidia site, downloaded 7676 drivers, did init 3. Drivers installed as the Nvidia 440 displays a splash screen on boot-up. Still no 3D.If I try to use SAX2 from the desktop control panel, or try to configure the display with the hardware icon on the panel, it kills x, leaving me with a black screen,and a dead prompt in the upper left. None of the consoles, f1 through f6 work. The only recourse is a hard boot.Running sax2 -m 0=nvidia results in an initializing mesage with a spinning emblem,a breif flash of another screen, then back to initializing for a few seconds. then a message"lost card during probing".Any ideas out there? thx for now.

try using one of the archived drivers from nvidia, they normally work better on the 440 cards

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845