Find the answer to your Linux question:
Will RedHat Linux 8.0 let me run a full fledged web server? Will it allow be to host more than one site? And my big question for everyone, does it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat 8.0

Will RedHat Linux 8.0 let me run a full fledged web server? Will it allow be to host more than one site? And my big question for everyone, does it have a built in email server so I can have emails for my domain name? If not are there any software out there to do this that isn't a lot of money?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    RH8 comes with Apache, the most widely used HTTP server on the internet. It also comes pre-configured with sendmail, one of the most commonly used MTAs (Mail Transfer Agent; the SMTP side of email). You can also configure it with any form of IMAP/POP3/Spool NFS or whatever system you want to use to distribute the mails to user agents. You can also download squirrelmail from sourceforge.net to create your own IMAP-based webmail service.
    And since they're all open-source, it's all for free.

Just Joined!
    If you are planning on using a seperate box for web,ftp,mail server,file server....even router/gateway. I recommend SME sever from e-smith. It's a free download from http://e-smith.org. 5.1.2 is based on redhat 7.1 I believe and is incredibly easy to install and configure. I just did so myself a couple of days ago and am very happy with it so far. Plus all that you mentioned.....webail,virtual hosts, etc.... right out of the box with very handy web browser administration.

check it out......it may be what your looking for.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    sorry, forgot to add that smoothewall is another nice choice if you have a spare box.....

Just Joined!
    Everything that was posted earlier was absolutely great, but just to forewarn you, your ISP might block port 80 (standard HTTP port) and port 25 (standard mail port). Going around the port 80 is easy, just choose a different one and include that in the address. As far as I know, you can change the mail server setting, but you have to have a service reroute the mail to that port (usually for a small fee).

Just a heads up!!!!

Tithefug