Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I think the answer can be found with a hard study of "man mount". Look especially close at "Mount options for fat" and "Mount options for vfat"....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

I think the answer can be found with a hard study of "man mount". Look especially close at "Mount options for fat" and "Mount options for vfat".

Can /etc/fstab be changed to change the ownership of all the files? Or will the ownership always be root:root?
    I addressed this in my first post to you. And yes, it's all in man mount (vfat options and fat options).

I wonder if when you specified the UID and GID you did not specify the correct one?

Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Can /etc/fstab be changed to change the ownership of all the files? Or will the ownership always be root:root?
    I addressed this in my first post to you. And yes, it's all in man mount (vfat options and fat options).

I wonder if when you specified the UID and GID you did not specify the correct one?
    That's why I was asking because I umounted /media/wd_fat_1, changed /etc/fstab with the different (and correct) UID and GID, and re-mounted with the new /etc/fstab settings. The UID and GID remained root:root for all files and folders despite the changes. I'll try it again to verify.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

do you have the correct syntax?

you have : chown -R blu30n3:usbdisk
    try chown -R blu30n3 usbdisk

Just Joined!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    Not sure why you can not change ownership, and I don't have a vfat partition to test theories on. But what you can do is use the mount options to change ownership.

Try changing
    Code:
    /dev/sda5        /media/wd_fat_1  vfat        defaults         1   0
    to
    Code:
    /dev/sda5        /media/wd_fat_1  vfat        uid=uid_here,gid=gid_here         1   0
    Specify the UID and GID according to which you want to have ownership. If you do not know the UID/GID, then a quick way to find this out is by using
    Code:
    id user_name_here

Noobie here:
    Thanks, this worked for me:
    where xxx is uid and gid.
    fstab entry
    /dev/sdb1 /media/usb vfat auto,uid=xxx,gid=xxx,rw,umask=000 0 0
    thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3