Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Run "service sendmail restart" and see if it takes ages to restart sendmail outside of the boot sequence also....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Run "service sendmail restart" and see if it takes ages to restart sendmail outside of the boot sequence also.

Linux User
    do you need sendmail? sendmail (my meaning) is one big giant security hole wich should no longer be used. a quick search at your local google site will give you many more good alternative MTA's.
    Also, you CAN delete sendmail's entry at your boot-up scripts. /etc/rc.d/-something- at redhat i think it is

Just Joined!

Now, eliminating that annoying error?

Okay, I don't need sendmail, so I'll remove that package(s), or do whatever so it won't stall there at startup.

Is there an easy way to get rid of the "Initialization of device eth0 failed...delaying..." error on startup? Like I say, after the thing gets booted, I can connect to the internet and other machines, so the card is obviously working....

It stops for a moment, on boot, at the above line, and beeps twice. I can live with the error, but do you have any good ideas what might be causing it do that?....or, is there something I could eliminate on boot, that wouldn't matter ( I was thinking maybe RedHat does some other setup of the NIC, after the boot stuff I'm seeing, so maybe I can easily get rid of the boot error, and RedHat would still initialize the card, etc, later....like it's doing now)

Thanks A Lot!!

Linux Guru
    I'd suggest not removing the sendmail package, since many programs rely on it for sending mails. Just remove it from the boot sequence. I'm sure you have a "runlevel" or "services" editor in your distribution if you don't know how to do it the real way.

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, you can use sendmail without having it run as a daemon at all times. RedHat is just a bit crazy with their default of "start sendmail on boot" type stuff. My sendmail runs every time I try to send a mail, but no times other than that.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Actually, I happen to use it for internal mail forwarding in my LAN, but I do agree. I can't really understand why RedHat keeps having that turned on by default.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2