Find the answer to your Linux question:
I enabled telnet for xinetd. here is the contents of my xinetd.d/telnet file service telnet { flags = REUSE socket_type = stream wait = no user = root server = ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xinetd login not working

I enabled telnet for xinetd. here is the contents of my xinetd.d/telnet file

service telnet
    {
    flags = REUSE
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    log_on_failure += USERID
    disable = no
    }

I can connect just fine, but when I login, I login as root, put in my password, and it says "login incorrect" anybody have any idea?

Ver: Redhat 7.2

thanks

Linux Guru
    The telnet daemon doesn't let you log in as root, for security reasons. You'll have to log in as a user and then "su -" to root.
    I recommend that you use ssh instead, though.

Just Joined!
    I did at one time create a new user and tried to login under that name with no luck. Of course I put the user in the group 'root' so that might of had something to do with it.

I tried using SSH. But it won't allow regular telnet logins, it gives me "Protocol Mismatch" when I do normal win telnet logins. I'm guessing win telnet dosen't support encrypted data/password transfers.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    that is right, download putty for windows. Just google for putty, it is the second entry (the download page). Putty also handles public/private key encryption if asked nicely
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Of course windows telnet clients don't handle that. Actually, no telnet clients handle that, since they are only for telnetting (most of them do raw transcieving also, but still. In unix, you'll need to run ssh to connect via ssh, and for windows you'll need putty, just like wassy said.