Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone know how to start a console based executable from within the Graphical Destop Environment? e.g. KDE What I'm trying to do is make a console program run at startup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

starting a console program from DE

Anyone know how to start a console based executable from within the Graphical Destop Environment? e.g. KDE

What I'm trying to do is make a console program run at startup by opening a shell window, can't seem to figure it out. I tried googling for answers but couldn't find any!
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Engineer
    Put a .desktop in ~/.kde/Autostart

I've done that already, but the part i'm stuck with is starting _console_ programs which do nothing when clicked.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by GNU_man
    I've done that already, but the part i'm stuck with is starting _console_ programs which do nothing when clicked.
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want a terminal window to open up when you boot and run a console program? If so, you can make a shell script and put it in your .kde/Autostart directory like a thing suggested. Say for instance you wanted to start 'top'. Create a file and chmod it so it's executable. In the file, put this:

Code:
    xterm -e top
    Then stick the file in your .kde/Autostart.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Konsole also has the -e option.

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for!

...I got it working now. It was a text mode console program that I wrote with Free Pascal that I wanted to run on startup. :P
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!