Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by commodore Ok, I hoped I can use Synaptic (I have Ubuntu), but everyone is still talking about their command line. I thought technology people are into advancing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by commodore
    Ok, I hoped I can use Synaptic (I have Ubuntu), but everyone is still talking about their command line. I thought technology people are into advancing
    But when you get used to something... I've begun to use the command line more and more, and it really is very powerful. When I first started using linux, it just reminded me of some archaic DOS, but that is far from the truth.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

I thought technology people are into advancing
    Just cos something isn't pretty doesn't mean it's not a powerful, advanced technology!! The command line may be ugly and it may be confusing, but it *is* powerful, and any GUI you get for linux will just be a nice front-end for a command line program, so whether you prefer a GUI or the CLI is just a matter of personal taste and not a function of how advanced things are.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    I thought technology people are into advancing
    Just cos something isn't pretty doesn't mean it's not a powerful, advanced technology!! The command line may be ugly and it may be confusing, but it *is* powerful, and any GUI you get for linux will just be a nice front-end for a command line program, so whether you prefer a GUI or the CLI is just a matter of personal taste and not a function of how advanced things are.
    I agree. I moved from Suse to Arch so I could get my hands dirty and learn more. I feel like I have more control over my system now. Either way, like mentioned, it is just a series of front ends to the CLI .

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

The command line may be ugly ...
    Ugly?! How can you say that? It's semi transparent and tinted blue with a funky neon green matrix don't-have-to-dodge-bullets text going on. If that's not cool, then I just don't know what is.

oh, yes, proof of coolness:
    http://www.lynucs.org/index.php?scre...55a43&p=screen
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    The command line may be ugly ...
    Ugly?! How can you say that? It's semi transparent and tinted blue with a funky neon green matrix don't-have-to-dodge-bullets text going on. If that's not cool, then I just don't know what is.
    I stand corrected!!!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    I have to say that when it comes to the CLI, at first, I didn't realize how much faster and more controllable my system is with it. After reading a few tutorials on the subject and now, after almost exactly a year with Linux, I can clearly see why the command line is praised so much. Lets put it this way, my mouse tends to collect dust from time to time .

Re: An universal packaging system

Probably many people have said this before, but why doesnt GNU/Linux have an universal packaging system that all distros could use. It would make GNU/Linux a lot more usable. Currently GNU/Linux is definetly not for people how use computer for just reading news or something like that because they dont know anything about computers.
    Yes, people have said it before. Yes, it's flamebait. Yes, this thread is locked.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2