Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Probably many people have said this before, but why doesnt GNU/Linux have an universal packaging system that all distros could use. It would make GNU/Linux a lot more usable. Currently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

An universal packaging system

Probably many people have said this before, but why doesnt GNU/Linux have an universal packaging system that all distros could use. It would make GNU/Linux a lot more usable. Currently GNU/Linux is definetly not for people how use computer for just reading news or something like that because they dont know anything about computers.

Installing from source is pretty stardard, though it's not that easy for a newby. The thing is, each distro will say it's package manager is best, and if every distro had e.g. rpm package managment, someone wouldn't like it and go and make another one, this is choice, linux it's there to gain more people using it, it's there to be used by the people who use it, and there are a lot of different people who use it, and thus there are many opinions on package managers...and thus a lot of package managers.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Just like the 400+ distros that are active right now. If GNU/Linux had a universal package system it wouldnt be linux, it would be something else. Choice is good, and if you really need to ./configure, make, su, make install

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't see the problem, installing stuff is easier (for someone who's never done it) in most linux distros than it is in windows. With something like synaptic, you open up a gui program, search for what you are looking for and it's installed with one click. In windows, you've got to search for whatever on the net, d/l it, possibly unzip it, and install it (which means more clicking, possibly entering various information, like where you want it installed to).

I think package managment is one of the strong points for most linux distros. As for having different package managers and package formats, it's all about choice, really.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Like everyone else has said, the beauty of Linux is choice and customization. Being overwhelmed about the types of packages out there is silly because you can usually find what you are looking for with your package manager. Odds are that a new user won't even know what kind of package their distro uses. What I am trying to say is that package type is irrelevant because you rarely have to work with them 'directly' (i.e. having to install an rpm manually when you can use Yast/Yum/Urpmi).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    But are there apps that can install downloaded packages with a gui not from command line?

Linux Enthusiast
    It depends on what sources you are using, not GUI or command line.

There are great GUI systems which come with various distros, Yum with Fedora, YaST with SUSE, urpmi with Mandriva, apt with Debian based systems etc. These systems are very similar and take all of the worry out of dependecies, not to mention tracking down files to install in the first place. The Smart package manager is a project to be a bridge to these various systems and provide a universal frontend to these different systems.

If you're coming from a windows world these systems may seem strange, but to be honest the only difficulty is forgetting the method you're used to. When I first started I resented the fact I could not choose where to install a package, but I have since realised that this is the key to a well managed system and also prevents the usual clutter and lost files you have in microsoft systems.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I hoped I can use Synaptic (I have Ubuntu), but everyone is still talking about their command line. I thought technology people are into advancing

Quote Originally Posted by commodore
    I thought technology people are into advancing
    We also think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", well when it comes to the CLI, once one knows how to use it we tend to find if speedier than GUI
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast