Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
as stated before freedom of having your pc as you want andy...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

as stated before freedom of having your pc as you want

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Linux Newbie
    Sorry, misread your question.
    I have only used windows and linux. I wonder what kind of response you would get in the BSD (for example) forum. Someday I plan to try out some other *nix

EDIT: No need to wonder. The discussion is going on in the BSD forum..
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Re: Why is GNU/Linux the best OS?

Quote Originally Posted by commodore
    Ok, I know it isn't the best OS for a lot of people, but why is GNU/Linux such a good OS? Recently I have been reading about other OS's which aren't very famous, but they seem incredibly good. I want to know why so many people are using GNU/Linux.
    Some folks like vanilla ice cream, some like blood sausage, some like long walks on the beach and some prefer driving motorcycles to automobiles. It's a matter of preference. What OS is "best" depends on the person.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

as a general rule linux users know more about computers than windows users. using linux promotes this, and this is why i like linux.
    also, when something f***s up, you can fix it unlike some "other" OS's, there is actually a reason for things going wrong which can be solved.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    What OS is "best" depends on the person.
    I'd like to correct that by saying:
    What OS is "best" depends on the person's requirements. Ultimately, computers and computing environments will become ubiquitous, though we may still be many decades removed from such a point. We can all mention reasons why Linux should be part of that, whether you are in a private capacity or corporate capacity.

Tech

Quote Originally Posted by technossomy
    What OS is "best" depends on the person.
    I'd like to correct that by saying:
    What OS is "best" depends on the person's requirements. Ultimately, computers and computing environments will become ubiquitous, though we may still be many decades removed from such a point. We can all mention reasons why Linux should be part of that, whether you are in a private capacity or corporate capacity.

Tech
    How is that any different from what I said? Or did you mean to say, "I'd like to elaborate on that?"
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Ok, I know it isn't the best OS for a lot of people, but why is GNU/Linux such a good OS? Recently I have been reading about other OS's which aren't very famous, but they seem incredibly good. I want to know why so many people are using GNU/Linux.
    Some folks like vanilla ice cream, some like blood sausage, some like long walks on the beach and some prefer driving motorcycles to automobiles. It's a matter of preference. What OS is "best" depends on the person.
    I wanted to know why is GNU/Linux good, why are so many people using it not that what OS should be good for me.

Everyone who's talking about customizing: I thought there's more OSS OSs () than GNU/Linux.

I wanted to know why is GNU/Linux good, why are so many people using it not that what OS should be good for me.
    I already answered your question. Personal preference. I have a personal preference that makes Linux good for me, and everyone else that uses Linux likely has their own unique personal preferences that steer them toward it. What you seem to be asking is "why should I like GNU/Linux?" to which there is no answer. Either it works for you or it doesn't.

Everyone who's talking about customizing: I thought there's more OSS OSs () than GNU/Linux.
    That depends on what you mean by "open-source". Technically Sun's OpenSolaris is "open-source" since it's released under a license approved by the OSI. Syllable is another open-source OS under development, as is Haiku. As far as I know neither of these are in a really usable state yet however.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    techieMoe

In forums as these people often look at Linux in terms of "best gaming device"/"best file manager"/"best scripting environment" etc. I am deliberately moving away from personal preferences and looking at what individuals/companies/governments might actually need in the future. Having an OS which works great for one individual is fine, but I like to think of the suitability of an OS in terms of how well it meets other requirements as well, namely those of companies and various other organisations. I see a role for Linux, and anyone using and helping to develop Linux may want to keep that in mind as well.

Hope that clarifies

Tech

Quote Originally Posted by technossomy
    In forums as these people often look at Linux in terms of "best gaming device"/"best file manager"/"best scripting environment" etc. I am deliberately moving away from personal preferences and looking at what individuals/companies/governments might actually need in the future. Having an OS which works great for one individual is fine, but I like to think of the suitability of an OS in terms of how well it meets other requirements as well, namely those of companies and various other organisations. I see a role for Linux, and anyone using and helping to develop Linux may want to keep that in mind as well.

Hope that clarifies

Tech
    No, in fact it confuses me more. You sound like you're trying to sell something, not offer advice.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast