Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Ok, I know it isn't the best OS for a lot of people, but why is GNU/Linux such a good OS? Recently I have been reading about other OS's which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why is GNU/Linux the best OS?

Ok, I know it isn't the best OS for a lot of people, but why is GNU/Linux such a good OS? Recently I have been reading about other OS's which aren't very famous, but they seem incredibly good. I want to know why so many people are using GNU/Linux.

Linux Enthusiast
    there are many options (different distros) and you can find/get what you want in an OS

well...that's why i think so atleast

Linux Engineer
    Try it for yourself and it will be obvious.

Linux Enthusiast
    It's usually free, it's open source, loadsa software, nice people, forums like this, stable, great selection, choice, choice and choice!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    It's usually free, it's open source, loadsa software, nice people, forums like this, stable, great selection, choice, choice and choice!
    What else do you want from a OS And Linux is the best distro if you want to learn... if you're a programmer (specially a C one) than it's a real heaven
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Try it for yourself and it will be obvious.
    Exactly. When you use it, you will know.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie
    Free (as in beer) software is pretty attractive. There is a lot of free software available for commercial OS's.Linux is free, as in freedom of use. That is the real magic.
    If that's not clear google a bit. Linux is used in all kinds of imaginative ways.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    What else do you want from a OS And Linux is the best distro if you want to learn... if you're a programmer (specially a C one) than it's a real heaven
    I assmume you ment OS

Control. That's what it comes down to for me. I can do whatever I want to my computer, I can customize it as little or as much as I want, and I can make my computer my own.

That said, it is also a wonderful programming environment, and really encourages you to know what's going on.

So yeah.

In the world of OSS there are a number of notable (and arguably better, depending on what you want out of it) operating systems.

GNU/Linux is the best for a pretty simple reason: It has a lot of energy and enthusiasm behind it. It will continue to be successful by sheer virtue of its momentum and thoughtful user community, as evidenced by this and many other helpful forums.

Corporations can hire up a hundred thousand programmers at a time, but in the long run they can't win out against a huge, organic community that does it for love of the game. OSS is better software, and GNU/Linux has perhaps become the epitome of its success.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast