Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking to understand what does it mean 32-bit and 64-bit with the below phrase : 1- x86 Platform Edition 32-bit and x86 Platform Edition 64-bit---for Linux or Unix ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

x86 Platform Edition 32-bit and x86 Platform Edition 64-bit

I am looking to understand what does it mean 32-bit and 64-bit with the below phrase :

1- x86 Platform Edition 32-bit and x86 Platform Edition 64-bit---for Linux or Unix

2- Is number 1 different form (64-bit) and (32-bit) in Windows OS ?

For instance I read on the net :

((Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition 64-bit and Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition 32-bit))

The best I can guess, since X86_64 (AMD64/EM64T) are technically still part of the X86 platform, then the "X86 Platform 64-bit" is referring to the 64-bit AMD64 and Intel EM64T, whereas the "X86 Platform 32-bit" refers to all other standard 32-bit CPUs.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    64-bit systems are, in theory faster, but so far, not that much difference

Hardly any apps for *nix that will utilise it, or windows

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Because when I want to download Unix or Linux, there is option for 32 bit or 64 bit,,,,doe that mean I can download what ever I would like?

Quote Originally Posted by zillah
    Because when I want to download Unix or Linux, there is option for 32 bit or 64 bit,,,,doe that mean I can download what ever I would like?
    What processor are you going to use the software on? That determines which one you download. You cannot run the 64-bit version on a regular 32-bit CPU.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

ket
    Just Joined!
    64 bits don't necessarily mean it will be faster. It really depends on the port and how extensively the OS has been optimized to take advantage of the bigger address space. A straight port from 32 to 64 bits only mean that the software will run without problems with the bigger address space.

http://www.alllinuxcd.com

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    The best I can guess, since X86_64 (AMD64/EM64T) are technically still part of the X86 platform, then the "X86 Platform 64-bit" is referring to the 64-bit AMD64 and Intel EM64T, whereas the "X86 Platform 32-bit" refers to all other standard 32-bit CPUs.
    Note that under linux u've got two options: pure 64 whithout any lib32 (so that u cant have java and OOo) usually x86_64-64 and the multilib version that most of us use (I'm on a 64 bits plateform).
    Zillah, if u don't know which processor u got type:
    Code:
    # cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family      : 15
    model           : 4
    model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
    Here is the result on my laptop. I suppose that under windows u could have this information through the configuration panel.