Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dual boot XP on hda (40Gb, NTFS)/ Suse 9 on hdb (8Gb) I've got just under 3Gb left on hdb1 and want to install UT2003 which comes in close to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Increasing HD space

Dual boot XP on hda (40Gb, NTFS)/ Suse 9 on hdb (8Gb)

I've got just under 3Gb left on hdb1 and want to install UT2003 which comes in close to 3Gb. I can reclaim an extra 5Gb from hda but I'm not sure how to link it in to the directory tree. I wouldn't want it to be set aside for a user but for installing stuff that's put on for everyone.

How do I do this?

Ta
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

I would create a new partition, about 10 gb that I would mount as /misc with rw for your user only, and use that as maybe a second homedirectory. It would be pretty easy, just make it, format it with a filesystem and add it to fstab, and there you go

Good luck

Linux Engineer
    Ta for the reply Kriss.

The problem is that the UT2003 installer is gonna install in /usr/bin or summat like that and there's no way it'll give me the option of where it goes.
    Lansbury's Lido

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    this is a starange thing i cane across. i have an 80 gb hd in my dell and a 6 gb in my other com both running win xp. when i installed it on the dell it took up 2.41 gb but when i installed it on the other it only took up 1.6 gb and i installed it the exact same way
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Linux Engineer
    Just did a defrag of another pc in the house which runs XP Home and lo and behold it too has shoved some immovable files towards the end of the primary partition, once again only allowing about 4.5Gb to be repartitioned.

So in both machines with 40Gb HDs XP has installed so that there is less than 5Gb available for a second partition., even though there is over 20Gb of free space.

One machine I can accept, but both? Anyone know of this is a 'feature' of MS to reduce contigious disk space and so 'spoil' partitioning or just an unfortunate quirk? Serious.
    Lansbury's Lido

isn't there something call Logical Volumes that may be what you're after.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    That was a 'feature' in XP. Seems that seek times are faster at either end of a disk than in the middle, so XP's defrag puts files at each end of the drive. There are third party defrags that don't do this, but the names/links escape at the moment.