Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I've a Netgear RP614, my ISP is Telewest Blueyonder (UK; 2MB connection)). I am running Slackware 10.2, it's networked with a WinXP computer behind the router. My computer running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Annoying problems with my router

Hey,

I've a Netgear RP614, my ISP is Telewest Blueyonder (UK; 2MB connection)). I am running Slackware 10.2, it's networked with a WinXP computer behind the router.

My computer running Slackware: 192.168.0.2
    Familys computer running Windows XP: 192.168.0.50

Ever since I've had the router I've had trouble getting certain things working consistantly:
    - IRC
    - MSN
    - BitTorrent

I have access to my router's configuration where I have added the following:
    Port Forwarding
    Service Name, Start Port, End Port, Server IP Address
    BitTorrent, 50123, 50123, 192.168.0.2

Port Triggering
    Name, Active, Outgoing Port, Incoming Port, Active IP
    IRC, No, {6667, 6667}, {6667, 6667}, 192.168.0.2
    MSN, Yes, {1863, 1864}, {1863, 1864}, 192.168.0.50
    Limewire, Yes, {6346, 6346}, {6346, 6346}, 192.168.0.2
    BitTorrent, No, {50123, 50123}, {50123, 50123}, 0.0.0.0

I changed the default BitTorrent port from 6881 to 50123 because I heard some ISPs block ports 6xxx because they know it's the default for P2P networks.

The range for MSN is two because both my and my families computer need to be able to access MSN at the same time. My MSN client, gAIM, is set to use port 1864 and I'm unable to connect to the MSN server. However, my families computer is able to connect to MSN flawlessly.

Limewire doesn't connect and rarely does Azurues (on the rare which it does connect, my accumulated download speed, amongst about 9 downloads, is just 30kb/s).

Does anybody have any advice as to how I can solve my problem?

If anybody requires anymore information, don't hesistate in asking.

Thanks
    Tom

Not sure about this, but I also had problems accessing IRC until I realised that it was an issue with my ISP's DNS servers. They couldn't resolve www addresses into IP addresses.

To get to an IRC server I have to enter the server's IP address straight into the relevant dialogue box. Typically, if I want to chat on say, Freenode I would need to know their URL ... Then in a terminal I would try:

ping -c 15 freenode.com

This would tell me that the IP address is 140.211.166.2

This might help you, it might not ... but it puzzled me for ages. Sometimes DNS servers are less than friendly. You can end up looking at everything from your firewall to your port addresses, but sometimes you just have to try a workaround.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    CS failed to connect any servers so I just erased all my router settings... it then worked. I hate it when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TomX
    CS failed to connect any servers so I just erased all my router settings... it then worked. I hate it when that happens.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso