Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ooook. Here goes. Windows98 crashed and I can only (and only sometimes) boot to C:. Fortunately, I had downloaded Dynebolic and I have been using it from the CD to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    vsj
    Just Joined!

File Associations

Ooook. Here goes. Windows98 crashed and I can only (and only sometimes) boot to C:. Fortunately, I had downloaded Dynebolic and I have been using it from the CD to access the net and my mail. What I want to do is zip Windows and remove it entirely from my computer then install most probably VectorLinux (maybe SuSE). I want to have a complete Linux computer. How do I do this? I have to first make some room and is why I'm removing bloated Windows and all it's bloated files, along with its viruses and trojans.

My goal is to set up my computer as a future server to be able to administer my web site from my computer. I need java capability and web site editing software.

Also, each time I want to read even a .txt file in Dynebolic, I'm told to make an association to read the file. Duh! I don't even know where TED or Abiword is much less associate them to a file I want to read. *blush*.

After Windows is removed, I want to install one of the above-mentioned distros and get on with my life--post-Windows. I have more questions, but will ask as I accomplish each step.

All help is appreciated.

Linux Guru
    It should just be a case of downloading and burning a .iso file, check the distro's website for download locations/instructions.

Most distro's will allow you to partition your drive, which can destroy the data already on it, so you wont need to worry about trying to remove windows, or deleting windows files before hand.

Just burn the .iso, backup any data on your HD you want saved to a CD/Floppy, put the CD in, and follow on screen instrutions.

Any problems during installation just give us a shout

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Just in case you need the location for you flavor of linux see http://www.linuxiso.org/

It has been updated. I see Fedora is on it now as well some others that are less common.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    vsj
    Just Joined!
    Gee, I've never gotten this speedy of a response on a Windows forum :P. Thank you, Guys. I'm very happy to know I can just overwrite Windows. I have the Windows98 original disc, so I really didn't want anything in the Windows directory, anyway. I'm headed over to linuxiso.org to re-examine the distros...may take a look at Fedora while I'm there.

In the meantime, can someone give me directions on how to associate files?
    Also, each time I want to read even a .txt file in Dynebolic, I'm told to make an association to read the file. Duh! I don't even know where TED or Abiword is much less associate them to a file I want to read.
    For some reason, Dynebolic is not reading my 2nd CD drive. I have two CD drives, a CDRW and a CDR. I run Dynebolic from the CDRW. When I shut down Dynebolic, it opens the CDR and not the CDRW in which it resides. Any suggestions how I may rectify this in order to burn my .iso to the CDR while Dynebolic is in the CDRW?

Thanks again,

vsj