Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason my SuSE 9.0 is running slower than WindowsXP . If anyone knows what I can do to optimize it, please help....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux running slower than windows.

For some reason my SuSE 9.0 is running slower than WindowsXP . If anyone knows what I can do to optimize it, please help.

Linux Guru
    try turning off services that you dont use, eg, SSHD if people dont ssh to your machine, exim/sendmail and pop3d if your not running a mail server, turn of apache, mysql etc if your not running a webserver database. etc etc.

Jason

Linux User

Re: Linux running slower than windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo6eB
    For some reason my SuSE 9.0 is running slower than WindowsXP . If anyone knows what I can do to optimize it, please help.
    As root run this command:
    Code:
    hdparm -d1 -A1 -m16 -u1 -a64 /dev/hdX
    Replace 'hdX' with whichever hard-drive you have Linux on. (If one harddrive its usually 'hda'.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    Also see what is taking so much of your cpu cycles by "top -C" for a live listing of all processes running.

Some are normally toward the top of the list while others will jump up and down. i.e. swap file is normally toward the top somewhere where as if you have ftpd running at the top, you have a whole other problem.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"