Find the answer to your Linux question:
Where I am going to school, we are switching a lab of workstations over to Linux to diversify students exposure to operating systems and to learn to manage and use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Input from Linux Pros

Where I am going to school, we are switching a lab of workstations over to Linux to diversify students exposure to operating systems and to learn to manage and use Linux. We are currently deciding between SUSE, Fedora / Redhat, and Ubuntu. Are one of these three "better" than the other to begin learning about Linux on, or is there a better disto I haven't listed? All opinions would be gretly valued.

Thanks,
    TT

check out www.distrowatch.com

I personally think Gentoo is a great distribution it has a "high learning curve" some people say but if the student body wants to learn the ins and outs of linux and have a super fast optimized server then this is where I would go. I personally think one of the major distro's like suse, fedora core/red hat, would be fine but IMHO aren't great for learning linux and are more personal use oriented anyways not server, but I'm sure there are lot's of people who think differently and that is what's great about linux I personally would suggest trying out linux on your own personal pc and seeing what you and the others involved in this project think would be best suited for your needs.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Re: Need Input from Linux Pros

Quote Originally Posted by tyler5690
    Where I am going to school, we are switching a lab of workstations over to Linux to diversify students exposure to operating systems and to learn to manage and use Linux. We are currently deciding between SUSE, Fedora / Redhat, and Ubuntu. Are one of these three "better" than the other to begin learning about Linux on, or is there a better disto I haven't listed? All opinions would be gretly valued.

Thanks,
    TT
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19023.html

Just Joined!
    One other thing I forgot to mention, they want a distro that is industry recognizable; so when a student appplies for a job somewhere, they can say "I have expirience with DistroX" and people will know what they're talking about.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler5690
    One other thing I forgot to mention, they want a distro that is industry recognizable; so when a student appplies for a job somewhere, they can say "I have expirience with DistroX" and people will know what they're talking about.
    In that case, I think Suse and Redhat still hold the honor, but Fedora and Ubuntu aren't out of the running, either.