Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was told there was a program which created something like an api and allowed one to run linux programs on windows. I am a full fledged linux user, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux On Windows?

I was told there was a program which created something like an api and allowed one to run linux programs on windows. I am a full fledged linux user, but its an easy way to convert people to linux. If i can show them that products that are similiar exist, they are more willing to convert. Long story short, anyone know the name of teh program?

They were probably talking about cygwin

although, I would like to point out, there is another way cool linux project that allows a full-blown linux instance to run at the same time as windows.

http://www.topologilinux.com/
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I usually use a live distro (knoppix, elive, kanotix, dsl...) to show people linux up close. The program you are looking for is (I think) Vmware.
    http://www.vmware.com/

Just Joined!
    I have vmware and am fully away of its capabilities, it's just not what i was looking for. Cygwin was what i was told about. The computer has a small hard drive so its very limiting when i want to install a secondary os. But i am getting a external hd so that problem may go away.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by neuromancerzero
    I have vmware and am fully away of its capabilities, it's just not what i was looking for. Cygwin was what i was told about. The computer has a small hard drive so its very limiting when i want to install a secondary os. But i am getting a external hd so that problem may go away.
    I sucessfully enabled a gui in cygwin it is pretty cool, but I think Cygwin is too limited for my taste. I like vmware better but you are right takes alot of space.
    Shouldn't worry so much about converting windows people, and focus more on capabilities of Linux. Once more people use linux more people will convert. Most Linux people worry more about making a better product than converting windows users. In fact it is easer when a windows user wants to learn something more than when they are trying to get converted.
    anyways that probably wasn't worth a nickel but there you go.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    i saw something on gentoo's site about running linux kernel as a windows thread. i think its called colinux
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

Just Joined!
    Besides being a live cd, there is also an embedded version of DSL, which can run under Windows. I tried this before spendig a cd on it.