Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey! i saw this forum on google, and thought it seemed like a good place to ask, i have Linux Ubuntu, and Windows XP working off 2 seperate drives, my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Need to uninstall Linux, dont know how

hey! i saw this forum on google, and thought it seemed like a good place to ask, i have Linux Ubuntu, and Windows XP working off 2 seperate drives, my Windows XP HD is the master HD, and Ubuntu is on a slave HD, i need to uninstall Ubuntu, as i need the hard drive for my Graphics work that i do on Windows Xp, as well as another number of reasons, anyway, which is the easiest way to uninstall Ubuntu, i cant speak linux, so i dont know command lines, so any help would be very greatfull! thank you!

Nannahara

Just going into XP Control Panel->Administrative Tool->Computer Management, using the 'Disk Management' facility and formatting the slave drive would remove Ubuntu completely.

If you've got a bootloader installed on the Master drive (the thing that lets you select whether to boot to Windows or Ubuntu), just boot from the XP CD, select the 'Repair Console' option and run 'fixmbr'.

That should do it.
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PsypherPunk
    Just going into XP Control Panel->Administrative Tool->Computer Management, using the 'Disk Management' facility and formatting the slave drive would remove Ubuntu completely.

If you've got a bootloader installed on the Master drive (the thing that lets you select whether to boot to Windows or Ubuntu), just boot from the XP CD, select the 'Repair Console' option and run 'fixmbr'.

That should do it.
    Thanks, its formated the drive, but i dont have a Windows XP disc (dont ask me why) is it necessary to run that command line?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Nope, not absolutely: there is a way around.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Nope, not absolutely: there is a way around.
    Is it necessary to do that at all? will it work okay just by formating?

No.

That thing that lets you select what OS to boot into is installed in the Master Boot Record, a tiny space on the beginning of your master HD.

If you don't remove this, the bootloader will run when you start the computer. However, you've just wiped out the bootloader's entire configuration by removing your Linux partition.

Therefore, you have to get rid of the bootloader. To do this, you need a bootdisk.