Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just have one question... A long time ago there was Maximum linux magazine and I'm trying to remember who a writer was for it. IT was in the newbie's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

maximum linux mag

I just have one question... A long time ago there was Maximum linux magazine and I'm trying to remember who a writer was for it. IT was in the newbie's section (I think) and the write was a female. I believe she was asian american. I've been trying to figure it out her name and now I must post or else I will go insane. Anyway.. I know there is someone out there who knows or has old issues. Thank you

P.S. I shall never throw anything away ever again. Oh.. Mark my words!

Just Joined!

Cool maximum linux mag = Ahhh! the Miracles of Google?!!!

http://www.systemtoolbox.com/bfartic...?content_id=18

The End of Maximum Linux

Friday February 16, 2001 02:59pm PST
    At midnight last night, Imagine Media announced that it was closing the doors on Maximum Linux Magazine. Emmett Plant talks to some of their staff to find out the story.
    I got a call this afternoon from Mae Ling Mak, who writes a regular column for Maximum Linux magazine. She told me that all of the offices for Maximum Linux were being closed, and that the issue that's on the stands right now is the last issue of Maximum Linux.

This is sad in one way, inevitable in another. Imagine Media, who also publishes MaximumPC and The Official Sega Dreamcast Magazine, created Maximum Linux to jump on the Linux bandwagon. While being a colorful and interesting magazine, many people in the Linux community shunned the magazine for not being technical enough to serve their needs.

I asked Mae Ling how she felt about the closing.

Mae Ling: Well, since I announced that I quit the other day, I'm kind of disappointed that the issues that were going to come out this year without me in them, I was interested to see the reaction from the readers.

I also got on the phone with Kelli Sheppard, Maximum Linux's Online Editor.

Binary Freedom: What happened?

Kelli: Basically, they shut down six out of the twelve magazines here. Maximum Linux was doing fine, it wasn't a problem with the magazine at all, I believe it was turning a profit. Instead, they're taking the money from the magazines they pulled and putting it into the others to grow those properties. Basically, they're doing what's good for Imagine.

Binary Freedom: How do you feel about this?

Kelli: Terrible. Maximum Linux was more than a job, we worked hard, and we loved what we did. It's more than losing a job, it's losing a part of us. We're all great friends, and now that's gone.

The reason I feel so bad it probably my own fault. I made Maximum Linux more than it should be, I got too attached ot it and made it part of my life, it's hard to lose something you've worked so hard for, something you're passionate about.

Binary Freedom: What will you do after this?

Kelli: I don't know. We just found out, I found out midnight last night. We're still spinning. Life after Imagine, it's hard to say. It's hard to imagine a cooler or more fun job than what we had here. Finding something that comes close to that is going to be really hard.

Binary Freedom: Does this decision have anything to do with Linux technology?

Kelli: We work for a publishing company, but we do a technology magazine. So, when technology takes a dump with the stocks and whatnot, it's going to affect us, as well, it's not just tech businesses.

While Imagine Media has closed the doors on Maximum Linux, the Linux media (which has typically been primarily web-based) charges on. Magazines like Linux Magazine, Linux Journal and Embedded Linux Journal continue to keep Linux on the magazine racks at bookstores all over North America.

Just Joined!
    There is now a web based magazine called TUX. I have been downloading it since the first release and I have to say it is a decent mag, though you need to be able toview a .PDF file. the mag can be found at http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

Linux Engineer
    I liked Maximum Linux, it was a great mag while it lasted. I don't like Tux magazine, it is way too noobish for my tastes. Linux Format is a great magazine though, it kinda reminds me of how Maximum Linux used to be.

Linux Format is great. It has a nice combination of reviews, newbie stuff and more advanced content.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Linux Format is great. It has a nice combination of reviews, newbie stuff and more advanced content.

Bryan
    i would agree with that too. i get it each month and i think its great for newbies and more advanced users alike. its great because its written in a way that newbies can easily understand but without sounding patronising to those more experienced in linux matters. there is a wealth of information in there too, so anybody of any level can be almost guaranteed to learn something from each month. there is also a free dvd/cd on the cover. as bryansmith correctly points out, there's a good combination of reviews and stuff - basically, theres something for everyone.