Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi its my, I think 3rd day with RedHat linux, and I am liking it very much. I am an advanced Windows user, but beginner linux. I installed Enemy Territory ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video Card Issues

Hi its my, I think 3rd day with RedHat linux, and I am liking it very much. I am an advanced Windows user, but beginner linux.

I installed Enemy Territory and Americas Army and playing those with default settings was about 1fps/s. That was when I decided to install ATI's drivers for linux. I did not know about XFree86 at the time. I have a Radeon 9000 Pro 128 MB card. So I'm at the site http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...6&submit=GO%21 and I downloaded the latest driver (4.3.0). I then tried AA, and ET and both games did not even open. So I thought, why not reset the computer to try and fix this issue? I then restarted the computer to find myself in command line linux mode. I was like NOOO!

So it said something about resetting the driver or something (I don't remember how I got to that). I then started linux with GUI again. ET and AA still do not work. Tux Racer, and the 3D screen savers are incredibly slow. And when I use the 2 commands for viewing my XFree86 version, I get 4.3. I don't know why it went into text mode after those drivers. And I dont know why these applications don't work.

Yes, in Display I have the correct driver + Hardware acceleration is enabled.

Linux Engineer
    Ahh.. the words "proprietary" and "Linux" should never go together but ....

Exactly what did you do to get back into GUI after you were in the command prompt? Are there any hints in /var/log/XFree86.0.log ?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    can u run flgrxinfo and check that it says direct rendering, and that (i think) your OpenGL Renderer is either ati/radeon/fglrx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close