Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was looking at my calculator (a TI-83+) today, and I was wondering...is it possible to install Linux on it? Has anyone here had success installing Linux on that model ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux on a TI-83+

I was looking at my calculator (a TI-83+) today, and I was wondering...is it possible to install Linux on it? Has anyone here had success installing Linux on that model or, for that matter, any kind of calculator? If so, how?

Thanks!

??? but i shaw plenty of sheel like programs that are supposed to look and feel like linux or windows try ticalc.org

My guess is not. Besides, wouldn't that make your calculator fairly useless?

It would make it useless, but I could say, "Hey, I have Linux on my calculator!"

Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    I was looking at my calculator (a TI-83+) today, and I was wondering...is it possible to install Linux on it? Has anyone here had success installing Linux on that model or, for that matter, any kind of calculator? If so, how?

Thanks!
    Yes (I think so), the TI-83's use the Zilog Z80 CPU, and afaik there's a linux distro that runs on Z80's. Haven't tried it, but I'm thinking about it (got a TI-83+ SE), some of my classmates had changed to another less power using OS, don't know which though.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

According to http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/...age=0&Session=
    Before your imagination gets carried away.

The CPU is a z80 ( 8 bit processor ) LINUX _CAN NOT_ run on a z80.

The only DOS that could run is CP/M , even tho some has mentioned it, it won't happen.
    ( why, cuse no one here is willing to put in that much work for a dead end device)
    The z80 is technically a microcontroller. It just doesn't have the features required to run a multiuser/multitasking kernel like Linux, let alone the GNU utilities that make a complete OS.
    The TI-89 uses a Motorola 68000 processor -- what the original Macs used -- and that is supported by Linux. But keep in mind that it runs in the range of 10 MHz -- 1000's of times slower than modern computers. And when you check how much memory you have -- that's measured in bytes My TI-89 Titanium has about 4 megs of flash ROM (roughly analogous to hard disk) and I think 1 meg of RAM.

Though I would like to see a free (as in freedom) OS for these things... I feel they have potential that the built-in TIOS just hasn't tapped into, especially the 89's. But like the poster I quoted said, it's probably not going to happen, as it's much more trouble than it's worth.

Just Joined!
    I take it you have never heard of uClinux? the name implies MICRO-CONTROLLER Linux Penguin on a TI, Possible, Yes, Matter of fact, I'll get right on it... Hey, if my microwave can run linux, so can my calculator!

Cool

as a matter a fact, I am working on one right now, called "linix tophat"

it will have features such as:

multible users (who cares?)

terminal (to execute your own stuff)

open office (word only)

virtual calc (if a teacher comes by)

remote desktop (take over a nother CALC! {must me connected })

unlike most failed a tempts, the speed will not lag (much) it will be writen in over 95% basic! (to protect you calc from ASM CRASHING) and it will be compiled into an APP, (so its dosent need other programs to run it's self)

also has text mode (for those who are low on ram)

the beta is comming soon (once i find my calculater :P )

now what else should i put in there,

.... , wait?, did you say microwave?

Just Joined!
    Theoretically, wouldn't a Linux-based console-only OS for the TI-8x calculators just require the Z80's assembly commands, the keyboard layout, a few drivers (screen, keyboard, memory, etc) and the removal of stuff you don't need (like wireless network drivers)? Maybe a few apps (shrunken, of course) like binutils, nano, maybe a small C compiler? And to fix the "uselessness" problem, some math stuff. If this is not possible (aside from "not enough ram/flash"), please explain to me why not. I want to learn as much as I can. Thank you.

Linux Newbie
    SWEET idea! I don't like Microsoft, but I have a flat grudge against TI. HP is freakin' awesome as far as calculators go, but especially expensive. Definitely better, though....
    Sorry. I'd like to see this happen (if it hasn't already).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast