Find the answer to your Linux question:
About a week ago i was sitting at home using Windows (yes i know....) when suddenly quite peculiar error messages started popping up. Windows demanded reboot and when it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Harddrive madness...

About a week ago i was sitting at home using Windows (yes i know....) when suddenly quite peculiar error messages started popping up. Windows demanded reboot and when it was going to start up it said that system.dll is missing. I thought that reinstalling the system would be easy, but I was wrong. The installer didn't even see the harddrive.

After booting up knoppix and looking around in the automounted partition that windows was lying in, I discovered a lot of files seemed to have disappeared. After some serious browsing in the harddrive i came to the conclusion that somehow the harddrive got corrupted. Don't ask me how, I'm just as curious.

Anyway, by now I've "salvaged" what I could, I've made all the backup DVDs I need and I've removed the windows partition. Now I've got a lot of unused space so i thought reinstalling Windows XP wouldn't be a problem, but no. Still doesn't see the drive.

I haven't tried making the entire thing NTFS but I doubt that will work.
    A funny thing though was that the entire thing was mounted (in knoppix) at /dev/sda, and as far as my knoppix experience goes, drives are automounted at hdX...
    Any help would be apreciated.

Linux Newbie
    Well if your sure you have everything backed up that you need / can, then why not just format the whole disk in knoppix? Just delete all the partitions and make them fat 32 or somthing, then in the installation of xp remove all partitions and make the ntfs and go from there. Maybe formating it completely will help the install find the disk...

Is your hard drive by any chance SATA based? If so, windows requires a driver disk on a floppy to be inserted when it asks if you need to load more drivers.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Yes, it is SATA and now that you mention it, that could be the problem...
    Any ideas where to find the driver?

Usually you just got the hard drive manufacturer's site or motherboard manufacturer's site and download the driver. I know that some mobos come with the sata driver on the cd. So in another computer, just copy over the sata driver to a floppy drive.

Note, you do need a floppy drive for this to work as windows just refuses to search anywhere else to get the driver.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.