Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I hope someone can help. I am looking for a distribution that will successfully run a linux enabled vid capture card. Preferably, it would be a command line (Minimal) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Which Linux Dist?

Hi, I hope someone can help.
    I am looking for a distribution that will successfully run a linux enabled vid capture card.
    Preferably, it would be a command line (Minimal) distribution which would be capable of installing and running the graphical interface of the camera selecton/viewing software.
    My aim is to have only the Video card software running at startup. Could this be done in a similar way to using the autoexec.bat file in windows to execute the card software on startup of the system. does anyone know of a linux version that fits this criteria?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ed

Video software is out there somewhere, I've never played with digital video capturing on any platform, however. Whenever I've had digital video to process, I've always taken the memory card out of my DV camera and stuck it into the computer. If the capture card you have is Linux compatible, there must be software somewhere that does what you want. Google may be a great help here.

In answer to your second question, the facilities for running software automatically at either startup or on any schedule under Linux are not like autoexec.bat at all. The way Linux handles system startup is more sophisticated and easier to manipulate.

Your basic options are:

- Run an application at startup (typically memory-resident services start this way)
    - Run when entering a runlevel (SysV stuff)
    - Run when a user logs on (through their ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc)
    - Run on a regular timed schedule (through cron).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks Roxoff,
    I think the software I already have is fine (It is Supposed to run on any Linux System)
    Thanks for the pointers on Startup.
    Can you reccommend a minimalist Linux version that will run as described?
    Ta

Linux Newbie
    I liked the Arch Linux base install for minimalisticism though this isn't for people new to Linux, once (if?) you become more proficient with Linux I think Arch Linux would be good.

I learnt how to use Linux with Slackware (and continue to use it now) which was good for me since I wanted to learn how to use Linux rather than just having an OS, which many people (including yourself possible) would prefer, which there's nothing wrong with.

The more user-friendly distributions (Ubuntu, SuSe, Mandriva) tend to be quite large upon installation but have easy-to-use package managers (something which allows you to find/install software very easily) with large repositories.

If you're set on minimalisticism I would recommend: Zenwalk

but if you'd rather something be more user-friendly (although Zenwalk is quite user-friendly too) I would recommend Ubuntu.

Feel free to ignore all of this.

Try DistroWatch.com definately though.

Just Joined!
    Debian boyee.

Just Joined!
    Cheers all!