Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a file system dump, image.fat, on my machine. I can work fine on it using my program. I want to mount it in a directory. I added an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to make a device file from a dump?

I have a file system dump, image.fat, on my machine. I can work fine on it using my program. I want to mount it in a directory. I added an entry in /etc/fstab for this dump. But, when I try to mount it (eg: mount /mnt/dos3) it complains that image.fat is not a device. What should I do if I want to mount it?

You will first need to enable loopback support in your kernel:
    Code:
    Location:                                                                                                                                           
           -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                 
             -> Block devices
    If you look at the help for this option, it says you need a utility called losetup available in the util-linux package. If you can't find a version for your distro, the FTP is at:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

Just Joined!
    Thank you.

I used mount -o loop image.fat /mnt/new-fat to mount the fille system. How can dump this file, image.fat, onto a device?