Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone have an idea on how long it might take 2.6 to become the next stable release? I'm currently still using the kernel that came with my distro and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

kernel 2.6

Does anyone have an idea on how long it might take 2.6 to become the next stable release? I'm currently still using the kernel that came with my distro and don't want to compile 2.4 if I can just wait till 2.6 becomes available.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    my guess would be a couple more months.

compiling a new 2.4 kernel is really straightforward. just download the source or rpm. spend 10 minutes setting it up (make xconfig) then run a few make commands(make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install), if ur using lilo it can even set up ur bootloader/.img files/.map files/etc by runnign make install.

Linux User
    I read in this article that it is due in middle to late December, so only another week or two.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    hellmasker,

Would you mind explaining all these different files with rpm based kernels? I know there are header and image files and I've never used them. I download the source from kernel.org and just compile away. Are there any advantages to using rpm based kernels?

Linux Engineer
    all kernels, not just rpm sources have these files, (check /boot/ if u dont beleive me) To my knowledge: map files list things about memory addresses of autoloaded modules, kernel commands, etc. img files are some sort of temporary working environment so ur kernel can load up, im not really sure how kernel headers work but i think they are somethign to do with compiling other things to run on the system.

The files that came with ur distro are probably useable with other 2.4 kernels so it wont really complain, also whatever u do to compile kernels may automatically update/make new files.

I use rpm kernels because i cant find tar.gz/bz2 kernels that have been modified by mandrake. (i need my automount damnit... )

also until i find a way to list/control what programs i install from source, i will use .src.rpms so that stuff is compiled but will still install as an rpm.

<edit> plaease feel free to correct me if u know somethign i dont, i do not claim to know that much about kernel setups</edit>

Linux Engineer
    Hellmasker,

Code:
    also until i find a way to list/control what programs i install from source, i will use .src.rpms so that stuff is compiled but will still install as an rpm.
    What about make xconfig? Is that what you are looking for?

Linux Engineer
    i dont think so, what i want is a thign like "rpm -qa" where i can list all the source programs i have isntalled, and then get details abotu what versions they are, what files they contain etc.